Gloves, Derma Shield or nothing?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.

Do you use Nitrile Gloves, Derma Shield, or nothing at all?

Poll ended at August 13th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Nitrile Gloves
50%
Derma Shield
50%
Another glove type
No votes
Another barrier cream
No votes
Nothing at all
No votes

Total votes: 4

Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Gloves, Derma Shield or nothing?

Post by Brent Deines »

Are the majority of you windshield repair, windshield replacement, and headlight restoration technicians wearing Nitrile gloves, using a barrier cream like Derma Shield, or do you choose not to wear any form of skin protection?

The reason I ask is that for years I didn't wear anything at all and never had any problems. I think that is largely because Delta Kits resins and headlight restoration chemicals are extremely safe to use by industry standards but also because I am very careful not to get a lot of resin, urethane, solvents, or headlight restoration chemicals on my hands. However, after seeing a few people who developed irritant contact dermatitis* from getting acid based windshield repair resins on their hands and reading up on it I decided it was better to be safe than sorry. That was many moons ago and I tried every Nitrile glove I could find but no matter the brand, thickness or style, I never really liked using gloves so I started trying various barrier creams. I liked those better than gloves but found that most of them left my hands feeling greasy which was not ideal for windshield repair, or anything else for that matter. Finally I stumbled upon Derma Shield. Actually someone came to my office selling Derma Shield and after watching his demonstration I was sold on how well it worked and how you couldn't even tell you had it on a few minutes after application.

We sold both Nitrile gloves and Derma Shield for years and at one point were selling far more gloves than Derma Shield but then the tide turned and Derma Shield became more popular. In fact, we were selling so few gloves at one point that we stopped carrying them. This year has been a record year for the sale of Derma Shield so we are now stocking more sizes than ever before so I'm wondering if there are just more windshield repair and replacement technicians who have been educated on the benefits of Derma Shield or if maybe there are more people using gloves as well. If the latter, we will consider stocking Nitrile gloves again in addition to the Derma Shield.

I would appreciate it if forum members would weigh in on this topic by participating in this poll. Your additional comments or questions are also welcome.

Thanks for your help!

*Irritant contact dermatitis can be caused by contact with acids, solvents, alcohol, acetone, bleach, soaps, deodorants, cosmetics, URETHANE, URETHANE PRIMER, WINDSHIELD REPAIR RESIN, HEADLIGHT COATINGS, etc. You can even get it from latex gloves! Derma Shield not only helps protect you from these contaminants, it also helps heal damaged skin. In fact, doctors in the UK are now prescribing Derma Shield for various skin disorders.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.