Scion tC windshield molding question

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Bimfi
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Scion tC windshield molding question

Post by Bimfi »

I have a 2005 Scion that I purchased new. In the 10 years that I've owned it, I've had my windshield replaced twice. The reason for this post is to ask a pretty simple question. But first I feel I need to give a back story.
A few years ago I noticed a strip of molding that sits in a channel between the top of the windshield and the sunroof. I noticed it because it was beginning to come out of the channel. Over the past few months I noticed that the ends of this strip were beginning to curl up. Then the strip began to pop out all together. So, I decided to replace this strip. I could not find a replacement strip nor a part number for it. Long story short, it was not a strip at all, but the top piece of a three sided molding that goes around the windshield. It appears that the person who came out to replace my windshield most likely decided to save some money and just cut the top piece away from the sides, then after the new windshield was installed, the strip was slid back into the channel.
So my question is this. If I were to purchase a new windshield molding, can I replace it without removing the windshield or do I need to wait until the windshield gets damaged?
benswindshieldrepair

Re: Scion tC windshield molding question

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Sorry for the late response on this. I have not had any experience with Scions. But, my general experience is that you cannot replace a windshield moulding without removing the windshield. That said, as a reputable glass shop, I guarantee all of my replacements against leakage or moulding problems indefinitely. So, if your windshield replacement establishment is worth its salt, they will fix it for you.

Good luck!!!

If you have questions email me at benswsr@gmail.com and you can send me some pictures to get more specific.
Thom Feeney

Re: Scion tC windshield molding question

Post by Thom Feeney »

I have done a few scion tc's and the moulding just pushes in at top. We glue the moulding onto the sides of the windshield and the top stays loose until the glass is set then pushed into place. You would not be able to replace the moulding without removing the glass.