How to quickly remove broken bonded windscreen?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
cvloenen
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How to quickly remove broken bonded windscreen?

Post by cvloenen »

Hi everyone, Ive donbe a few bonded windscreens in the past and unfortunately need to do another to my car. The windscreen is badly smashed, and instead of cutting round it as I normally would Im wondering if I could just know it out with my boots from inside the car? Would it break all the way round right up to the adhesive bead , then I could just nip round the adhesive holding the left over glass with a knife, one man job :D ??
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: How to quickly remove broken bonded windscreen?

Post by Brent Deines »

Not the way I would do it but I've seen it done before.

Why wouldn't you just cut it out using a conventional method? Cold knife, hot knife, wire, Equalizer, Fein, BTB, etc.?

If you do decide to kick it out you will have glass everywhere so be sure to protect the dash, moldings and the interior of the vehicle. Be especially careful to cover the defroster vents so you don't get glass down inside. You should also cover the cowl, hood and fenders to prevent scratching the paint.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

What you propose is 10X the work. A bonded windshield is not your grandpa's gasket windshield, or your dad's butyl job. Cut it out using the right tools, save your back, and your eyes when you turn your vents on high and get blasted in the face with shards of glass....
jasper custom

Post by jasper custom »

If the windshield is as badly smashed as u say it is then it's just a crappy job and shards of glass are already in the vent but anyone saying cover them is right and protect the entire dash it can be badly damaged but in these case I've found that the old school tools work the best they have the least amount of movement so cold knives are great if they'll work but kicking it will most likely make a bigger mess then needed