Camera Calibration on vehicles

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
glasco1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Camera Calibration on vehicles

Post by glasco1 »

With the new ADAS systems that have been incorporated in windshield there is the need for re-calibrations of the system. Trying to get paid from SGC is a joke, even trying to get approvals will cause you to drink. Has anyone had any dealings with trying to get paid for doing calibrations?
autoglassconcepts

Re: Camera Calibration on vehicles

Post by autoglassconcepts »

I talked to a guy with SGC and admitted that all Tahoe's and suburbans require the lane departure recalibration. Now almost all new vehicles have that feature and there's no reason why they shouldn't pay for the others.
If you can find proof on GM or the manufacturer saying that it is required for all vehicles, which I did, they should pay. But, the guy I spoke with has yet to email me back about this situation. I just replaced the windshield on a 2018 Camaro ZL1. Not sure how to make them pay for the recalibration. Can't you just fax them an invoice showing how much you paid?
autoglassconcepts

Post by autoglassconcepts »

Another thing, when the vehicle does need the recalibration does it absolutely have to be done at a dealership? Or can you take it to a small shop? Because the dealership charges $140, and I've heard others can go up to $300.
MichaelSmedley

Post by MichaelSmedley »

It's important to point out that the Manufactures/Dealers state that if a generic part is used (Windscreen) or a generic calibration tool used to reset the system. The the warranty is void. This is not to say it would not work, just they can't support other suppliers parts and fair enough too. Same as if you take your iPhone for repairs at the local electric discount store, don't expect Apple to fix it up if you have problems later. Nothing new here.

Not sure in regards to networks and their payment conditions. If we install a glass with electronics and the vehicle is still under warranty, then only OE glass is used and factory/dealer calibration is performed. The insurance group has to pay the bill like it or not. But then we are independent and are not contracted to discount rates in return for referrals. So it depends on your position.
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens
Bigcurt

Post by Bigcurt »

I would like to get in RE calibration . Where can I buy the equipment and how much is it ? Thank you Curtis
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

I have yet to have to get one re-calibrated. I never unplug any of it, re-affix everything to windshield works fine.
ShermansGlass

Post by ShermansGlass »

We bought the Opti-Aim system from Pilkington...

It is billed on Safelite EDI as adasrecalservice and on Lynx EDI as RECAL-RTL-DYNAMIC/STATIC/BOTH (depending on which one you do).

Both Lynx and Safelite have paid $300 to the shop for recalibration of the vehicles that we have performed them on.
ShermansGlass

Post by ShermansGlass »

We used to leave the cameras connected and just let them hang, and never had any issues... but now almost every automaker specifies that these camera systems need to be recalibrated after a windshield replacement. If insurance is paying for the service, why not provide it? (The machine paid for itself in less than 8 months by the way.) - Estimating one recalibration a week at $300 a recalibration is an extra $15,600.00 a year - and that's if we only do the minimum of 1 a week!

This was the video that sold the idea to us - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSup1ClK-4
ccag007

Post by ccag007 »

I am looking into getting a calibration set up I am being told that the units that you use while driving the car will become obsolete soon due to all the things that have to be perfect for them to work. I am wanting to go to the Auto glass show in Indy to check more systems out.
nixquax
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by nixquax »

Has anyone here done MOBILE ADAS Recalibrations? If so what are the drawbacks, limitations and "real" out in the field situations that can make you wish it was still 1999.