Windshield Pricing

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
terryalex29

Windshield Pricing

Post by terryalex29 »

Here are a few prices that I paid for glass. Are these OK or could they be better?
DW01217 GB Y $86.77
DW01319 GB Y Car $100.05

Thank you.
Terry
StarQuest

Re: Windshield Pricing

Post by StarQuest »

terryalex29,

I think if you looked around more you could find some better pricing. If your picking up glass from supplier location and not having them deliver... that's worth 10-15% additional savings to them. Also if you pay upfront with check or cash that's another 2% savings. If your providing both I'd ask for those discounts. I'd say $70-75 for the DW1217 and $83-$87 for the DW1319.

Currently, I'm getting both of those shields for $35 less than your paying and that's for OEM. It didn't happen overnight though;)

If you have the time PM me with your city location and maybe I can help you set you up with a better deal.
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

Real Smart People! Just remember this is an 'open to the public forum' :eusa_naug
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

Ah, the new O&A's are on the way. :eusa_wall
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

AGSS,

I understand your concern with providing purchasing glass figures on this site but lets get real here for a moment! How many people do you actually believe outside of repair or replacement visit this site? Maybe less than 1 % I'd think!

So, I doubt if my shared info had any effect on my market area or for that matter had any effect on yours!

Yes....I consider myself "Real Smart" and willing to share to boot!
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

All it takes is one!
One insurance person whose sole job is to find out how low he can go with O&A's and what you will accept.
This information shown in a public forum is nuts.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Sorry to share this with you....... but all the insurance company's know what we pay for glass give or take a few points. It's no secret and never has been. That's why we have NAGS price listings. Do you actually believe for one minute that Safetlite, Harmon or PPG hasn't already provided them with this information freely? O & A agreements and adjustments have absolutely nothing to do with my or anybody elses ability to purchase glass at a lower rate. They could really care less what I pay for a shield or for that matter what you pay!

What really effects their pricing decisions is all the waiving of customer deductibles around the country. When they see independent shops still waiving $100-$150 off a glass install, that's all the information needed to adjust payout amounts. It's that simple!!!! If you don't buy that, please feel free to research this on your own!

FYI, I don't even do insurance work! Haven't in 3 years. I make better money servicing dealers, fleets and cash customer replacements.

As always, feel free to respond;)
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

If your customer requests OEM glass and it is going thru a network, they will not issue authorization until you fax them a COPY OF YOUR INVOICE FOR THE PART!!! Yes, you MUST show them how much you paid for the part! Now, I can't say I totally agree with putting the pricing up on the boards, but I can also tell you that there are LOTS of companies paying more for their glass and LOTS of companies paying a little less for their glass. As Starquest stated, it is true! As far as the insurance companies go, they already know what the pricing is, within a couple of points. More of an issue though with the cash customers. They see this pricing and think it should be that price plus $20.00 for our time. Many don't understand the overhead, tools, labor, urethane, towels, primers, insurance, etc., etc., etc.
Just my 2 cents!