Resin won\'t flow...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Sudden Impact

Welcome To The New Delta Kits Forum!

Post by Sudden Impact »

Well....I've been practicing for a few weeks now and everything is going well. The only problem im having is getting the resin to flow in the legs of a star break. I know its probably been a topic on the old board. When I do the repair ... everything goes well up untill I try to get the resin to flow into the legs of the star. Ive tried applying pressure with the tip of my probe near the injector base and I can see the resin flow but as soon as I let go the resin backs out of the break. Even applying pressure with my fingers I get the same results. I've also use my lighter to heat the glass and the resin flows but as soon as the glass cools you can still see the break. Is there something im doing wrong? :?
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Resin won't flow...

Post by Delta Kits »

Just as the old board, forums are certainly not the best place for technical support help, simply because there is so much information that we cannot know. So, I highly suggest contacting your equipment manufacturer (most offer free technical support).

With that said, there are a few things that come to mind as possible causes. The most likely scenario is too much pressure applied to the windshield with the injector. I'm not sure what system you have, but with our system, you want to put the smallest amount of pressure on the windshield without letting the resin leak from under the seal. That's it. Most people tighten it too far...Again, I don't know what system you have, but with ours, that's approximately a half turn. Also, if it's our system, you can give your injector a little extra thumb pressure if you have trouble getting a star to fill...You also want to be very careful with the heat, do not heat the windshield more than is comfortable to the touch, approximately 100 degrees...Any more, and you could be closing that break, not allowing resin to flow in, then it cools and it's back.

Again, any forum is not the best place for technical support, but those are a few tips...If those don't work, contact your equipment manufacturer.
Delta Kits, Inc.
ThePANEintheGLASS

Re: Resin

Post by ThePANEintheGLASS »

I also find sometimes tou may THINK its not filled but as soon as you cure it it improves and the legs disappear.
mr. P's Mobile Detail

Re: User Name

Post by mr. P's Mobile Detail »

I have been practicing with my new Delta Kit for about 2 weeks but just part time. I couldn't get the resin to flow either. I got a sugestion from the person I bought it from and it helped. Just as Jeff just said: less pressure.Another thing I discovered Sundy while practicing. If your practice glass has lots of cracks in it it is hard to keep the bridge tight to the glass.

After correcting these 2 things I made 3 purty good repairs. One question if it is not to teckinal, After cureing there is a small whole in the repair, is this because I did not ues enough pit resin when I finished the repair.

Jeff, thanks for the invitation to your teck line on doubt I will be calling.

Very nice fourm, keep up the good work.

mr.P :D
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Delta Kits »

After cureing there is a small whole in the repair, is this because I did not ues enough pit resin when I finished the repair.

When you apply pit resin to the break, you want to creat a hump in the pit resin, above the glass. One common mistake is pushing curing tape onto the windshield with your thumb, which can cause a small divot. Put a few drops of pit resin on, and lay the curing tape over it.

Also, make sure that when you scrape with the razor blade, that you hold the blade at a 90 degree angle (perpindicular) to the windshield. This will prevent you from possibly pulling your pit resin out, since the razor has a tendency to flex when held on it's side...
Delta Kits, Inc.
omega

What is your experience with tents?

Post by omega »

I just got my repair kit tonight and immediately went out to my car to fill several rock chips I had. It's not a delta kit, but it pretty good. The small chip turned out all right, but I am not happy with the injector I have. I am going to order the delta EZK-3 tomorrow. The injector I have does not have a way to suck the air out of the crack unlike the EZK-3 does.

When you fill, are small cracks going to be visible or should they disappear? If they are too disappear then I am not getting resin in there. I think I may be applying too much pressure after reading the above posts.

I had this huge impact crater that I had to put pit resin over and drill before I put the bridge on it in order to get the injector to seal correctly. The hole was way bigger than the hole on the injector seal. It
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Before you start try pressing each leg at the center of the break.This will break them open to the center, allowing resin to flow. :D
omega

marketing ? how to

Post by omega »

Doesn't this make the crack expand? :?:
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

not if you watch what you're doing,this has always worked well for me.
jimfols

Post by jimfols »

sunshine wr wrote:Before you start try pressing each leg at the center of the break.This will break them open to the center, allowing resin to flow. :D
I like this thread a lot. Could someone please elaborate on pressing the breaks to make them more readily receive resin. Like where do you press?
I know this forum is not for tech training, but I don't think you can beat listening to personal opinions.

Thanks, Jim