Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
all starr

Headlight restoration?

Post by all starr »

Hello All,

I am considering adding headlight restoration as a add on service. I have been looking at rightlook's system, it seems very resonable. Any advice or expierence with this system?

Also, how are you guys who are offering this service marketing it? who are you selling to, delaers or customers, or both? What are peoples reaction to the service? Is it an easy sale, or do people not care about dull healights?

Thanks as always,

Jared

All Star Windshield Repair
StarQuest

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by StarQuest »

First time I've ever heard of that system. I'd definatetly do more researching in this area before you make that final choice.

All markets differ with available or needed headlight restoration work. Seeing that you live in a higher UV state, there should be quite a few opportunities to pursue providing this service.

How do you market this? Just get out and sell it! This type of work won't come to you....you have to go after it!
jbolton

Post by jbolton »

I offered this, and it turned out to be more work than it;s worth. I charged 35 dollars a car, and use very fine sandpaper a non scratch brillo like pad you can get at autozone, and 3m pastic polish. worked great. After doing windshield repair it just became to much work for the money. Headlights that is.
ncglastech

Post by ncglastech »

What is the best or most used system out there?
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

allstar there lots of posts on this subject..just take the time to look back at them..i have used rightlooks oxidation remover nad buffing pad ..works good i am currently using ips system and am satisfied...
toab

Post by toab »

I am working on my own system for headlight resurfacing.Heres the scoop on what I've got going so far.If the headlight is really oxidized and rock pitted I first use some 3m 400 grit wetsandpaper.If not as bad I use some 1500 grit and wet sand the lens and then buff with 3m non silicone med compound if I am going to clear it .If not then I use solvol auto sol polish after wet sanding and then follow up with a great product called meguires "plastx" that I got from cdn' tire.Now I need your guys help to finish this system.I have not yet found an aerisol clearcoat to put on the lens after I have finished buffing that doesn't react with the plastic lens and turn milky.Any lacquer or enamel aerisol clears that i tryed do not work.This is a mobile service so spray gun clears will be a last resort.If I can clear these lenses after I restore them they should last longer and I should be able to get more money to do it.Help me out guys??
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Bois »

I've been offerring headlight restoration for 8 months now. I market to new car dealer's service centers and used car lots. I also have a brochure that I place in service center waiting rooms and on counters in auto parts stores. I also list headlight restoration on my business cards.

Most jobs come from my brochure and referrals by service centers.

I charge $50 per set retail and $40 per set dealer.

I use a combination of wet sanding (400, 600, 1000 grit); 3M pads equivalent to 400 (red), 600 (gray) & 1000 (white) grit and buffing after sanding. For UV protection, I use Dvelup's products. Customers like to outcome.

Dale...
k9mkt

Post by k9mkt »

Rightlook is the way to go. I'm using "part" of their system. After sales technical advice is great and they are really quick to respond.

I always wet sand from 400 or 600 grid though in some cases its hardly necessary. The Oxidation Remover works great and their Shine Restorer Protector is truly amazing stuff! ...

Toab - Rightlook's "Shine Restorer & Protector" - dries in 5mins - apply 2 coats

I market this as I market my WSR business. Its in my business card as well.
PeterP1111

Post by PeterP1111 »

After 24 years in Software Development, I've been "outsourced" into a new career and am now in the auto recon business and new to this forum. I've been working with Windshield Repair for about six months and am currently trying to get up to speed in PDR.

Rather than getting a kit and/or training in Headlight Restoration, I'm sure there must be numerous "off the shelf" products that one could use to put together their own system. It all seems to involve basic sanding, buffing and putting on a protective finishing coat.

Any successes to report?

Thanks

Peter
pitt

Post by pitt »

I don't use a system. All I use is auto buffing compound. I start with Evercoat (body magic) heavy buffing compound then med. then I use Evercoat (bodymagic) finish wax. The tool that I use is a cornwell air die grinder with a buffing kit. It does a real good job. If you know anybody shops ask to brough a little and try it. I sure any buffing compound would work. Tell them that you will buff on for free you just mite pick up some work from them.