delta kit vs glass mechanix

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ecratrods

delta kit vs glass mechanix

Post by ecratrods »

Hello to all you out there. I have just purchased both kits on ebay..... Sorry trying to start on a budet my Delta kit is a EZK 120 kit and my Glass Mechanix is a GM2000 (came with windshield buffing kit). Any how I got a great deal on both kits now it is a matter of trial and error. Has anyone use both kits and find which is better and user friendly? Is it as profitable as people claim (I know I have to get my name out there but....) I have received both kits yesterday and have been making breaks in my old windshield. So far no to bad but need a little practice before I go out and try to charge people let alone make a living..... Well look forward to talking to you all sharing in my good and bad ventures...Any fore warnings would be great.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: delta kit vs glass mechanix

Post by screenman »

Best advice I can give is get some proper training, second make those repairs soaking wet before you attempt to repair them.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Welcome to the forum ecratrods. With all respect, what I don't understand is that you first invest and than start to ask questions about the possible profits. To me that is weird, also it is good for you that you had a good deal, but why would you go using two different systems? Why not focussing first on one and become a real proper tech? Lastly you mention, and I quote; '' So far no to bad but need a little practice before I go out ...etc.''

To me, so far, you have made all possible mistakes which typically lead to failure, and it is also a bad thing for our trade, sorry but that is how I see it.
Luckily, you came to the right place for advice, again...you're welcome!

With all respect, and in my opinion, if you were really on budget you would have been better off purchasing just one kit, either, secondly, you do NOT just need a little practise before you start.... instead you need a proper training.
This of course is just my opinion, others may have their own.
ecratrods

Post by ecratrods »

Thank You Frank Eu but I guess I did not give enough info to prevent the negative remarks. First I have been reading about the profit through many company's What I have not heard is what is working for all you guys making a living out there using the kits not selling them. Second I purchased Both kits from 1 person on ebay for a total of 625.00 chose the one I like best sell the other and I have made my money back plus some Boy that dose not seem like a mistake to me, But than again I am just starting out in the glass repair business. And as far as the training issue well if you read you manuals that come with your kit they all state if you can not attend a class just study read watch the video and practice practice practice. I mean unless the manual is not correct? I am not trying to argue I just don't want to be looked at on this site as someone who has no clue or is going to "make our trade look bad" But thank you though for your input and hope this dose not come across wrong.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I don't think you made a mistake either. Think it was a pretty smart move. I think you will find that you will gravitate towards one or the other and you will wind up using one most of the time. You don't say how many injectors you have but if you pursue the business you will really appreciate having more than one or even two. I have never used a GM system but most pieces of equipment have their advantages and disadvantages. One may work better in certain circumstances than the other, even though I use my favorite system almost all the time. I have a Delta, GW, Liquid resins, and a couple others.

You can make good money doing this, but it is a business and you have to find clients on your own, especially if you are doing fleets. A tent site where the people come to you is an alternative that you might try. There is a lot of info on the forum on this sort of thing and you can read for a long time and get tons of ideas on how to approach building your business.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Ecratrods you'll do fine. It sounds like you are on the right road to success.
quietman

Post by quietman »

I have both but mainly use Delta Kits. I went to GM's training course (3 day training) in Los Vegas in 2003 and I attended Delta Kits Training class in 2004. So I'm Certified by both factories. Which ever you use, do yourself a favor and get some hands on training, it will pay off in the long run. Delta kits is always offering training somewhere and if you train at their factory in Oregon, it's free.

You have to be careful with GM when using the pressure cycle. When I first got my GM kit, I wasn 't sure how much pressure to use and of course had some repairs that cracked out on me, mostly during practice. When I use the Delta Kits Bridge, it seems to be much easier and quicker. The spring loaded injector takes the guess work out of both the vacuum and pressure cycle's and I can focus on removing the air and filling damaged area. I still have my GM bridges (2) plus 1 crack repair bridge and I use them as a back up. I also baught two bridges from U.S. Windshield Repair but I traded them in on the Delta Kts Bridge through Delta Kits trade in program. I now have 3 Delta Kit bridges that I use for my day to day repairs.

I hope that helps.

Carl
Jbrodie

Post by Jbrodie »

Welcome to the furum

All the equipemt you use won't mean anything unless you have a good resin. I have used 4 different maufactures of resin. I find the best one is Delta Kits resin. I just started using this resin and i will never go back to anyone elses. They make the best looking repairs.

The other thing to remeber is keep your resin out of the sun I use a moving blanket that keeps the sun off the windshield and i can load my resin with out sun exposure.

Getting business is the tricky part.
Advertise on craigs list helps alot bu constantly put a new add on every week at least. Get profesional looking busness cards i got mine $50 for a thousand cards. Get magnets for you truck on both sides and back.

To tell you the truth i make between $1,200 to $1,700 a month not much but i also got a security job i do part time and i make my own hours.

Other than taht good luck on your new venture.
David T

Post by David T »

Welcome to the forum ecatrods,

You pose some interesting questions. First off, no matter what kit you end up choosing, there is no better source of information (about all aspects of WSR) than this forum. If you take the time to learn how to use the "search" feature on the forum, you will find that there is a wealth of information to harvest.

Which kit to use/is best? You will find that WSR techs have very passionate loyalties to whatever system they have purchased. I spent some time with someone that swore by the incredible results of the Glasweld system (and he also claimed to have previously used Delta Kits). I have seen some of the repairs he made with GW and I was not impressed by the final results (it was very obvious where the damage was after the repair, but it in all fairness, it was not the most recent equipment that was being used).

While I did a fair amount of research, with so many options available, I was still unsure of what "system" was the best choice. Before making ANY commitment, I chose to attend the Delta Kits training class. In that class, after making several repairs, I was impressed with the results. In fact, a few days ago, I did 2 repairs on one windshield (I have the Delta Kit that comes with 2 bridges) and after removing the bridges (once the pressure/vacuum cycles were complete) and putting them back in the tool box, it was a little bit of a challenge to go back and find the exact place where the damage originated in order to apply the pit resin and use the curing light.

IMHO, when high quality is included in equipment WHEN IT IS BEING DESIGNED, there is a kinder and gentler learning curve once that equipment is put into use. No matter how good the equipment is, there is NO substitute for being in a class and having immediate access to the years of experience that other WSR techs can provide. No matter how meager your budget is, training is a wise investment.

David T