Quickbooks software

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Quickbooks software

Post by Brent Deines »

On the weekends momma lets me stay up late.

I still have a desktop computer at the office but I recently got rid of my desktop computer at home and now just use my 12" laptop for just about everything. My sales reps use laptops for everything as well, but since they are in the office most of the time they also have docking stations with full sized key boards and monitors.

Do you have a wife or employee that needs to access QB from your home or office while you are in the field? If not, I would just keep everything on your mobile laptop. We have a multi-user version of QB so have not tried syncing, but have had problems syncing with other programs with QB that are supposedly compatible so even if that is available I would be careful.

If you are the only one using QB but still need a computer at home that can be used for other things when you are out you can just copy the file from the mobile computer to the home computer and vice versa. Before we went to a multi-user version of QB I used to copy my QB file to my laptop every night before I went home so I could work on it at night, and then copy it back to my work computer in the morning.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

That is what they said at QB's. I use a flash drive to back up to. Actually I use 2 different flash drives and an external backup hard drive (MAXTOR) for my backups.
Three years ago one of my computers crashed and I lost everything and had to re-enter EVERYTHING for QB's. I have the business, my personal checking, my savings, and our Joint account. I was fit to be tied. Pics of art work for adds and fliers.... I do not trust the hard drives anymore. It is verry rare that the hard drive, external H/D and two flash drives will crash at the same time...
When I asked QB if I can use my flash drive and back up the portable laptop and restore to the main laptop, then backup the main laptop and restore to the portable to get them to be the same, they said that is the right way to do it on a one user version.

I will most likely find the smallest screen notebook with the most GHz and Ram or what ever it needs to scream, and only have the basics on that one and at home in the office I use a laptop ( L/T ) and will get the fastest larger screen unit to run all the bigger software.

Everyone got there new computers and I am now working with the slowest on now. Time for me, me, me.

Spend it before Obama gets it.
Just Chippen Away
VEECO

Post by VEECO »

How long does it take to setup something like quickbooks for WR? At another company I worked for it seemed like the tech guys spent countless hours on it. I might have to try it if it doesn't take weeks to set up.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

VEECO: QB has a very good ''help'' function intergrated in the system, it helps you through almost whatever you want, it explains itself, also: their support dept. is great. Lastly: most accountants/bookkeepers can help when you're having issues with QB. It took me about an hour to setup the system, that is not too bad.
Forget the ''other guy'' you talk about, we both don't know the facts, he could be working on a database, we just don't know. Of course you need to maintain your own future database, when your business starts to expand you need to set up new customers -but that should never be a problem eh? QB should be easy to set up. Just contact QB or your bookkeeper for assistance if needed. Be good.
SGT

Post by SGT »

Depending on your needs, another option may be Quicken & Home and Business. It is lacking some of the bells and whistles of Quick Books but is signifgantly cheaper as well.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
VEECO

Post by VEECO »

Frank, A few hours sounds a lot better than a few weeks thanks I'll get a copy!
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

I have been using QB for years and used to hand write invoices...several yrs ago I had a lady whose business it was to set up and train small business owners in QB come to my house and set up everything ..custom invoices and statements...new icons and set up special vin report that was very helpful...laptop in truck with bubblejet printer and no more double entry..not to mention a very profesional invoice to hand to customer and statement to dealer..best thing I ever did
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

Mrchip
What is the "special vin report "? I have been using QB sense I started to many years to count and do not no what that is...
I could never set my invoice screen to look like my paper invoice. Of course I am still using the screen that was made up 15 plus years ago. I guess I never tried to change the setup... I am just so use to the same screen.

Time to try to get out of the stone ages. It's like an old dog, it's hard to teach them a new trick... Unless they have a lot of treats.
Just Chippen Away
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

she set up a box in which i put the last four of the vin.. all i had to do was put in those and would pull up invoice...very helpfiul at dealers when checking on history or any problems with vehicle....just another tool to use.....QB is a very fine business tool....but today there are many programs one can use ..after moving down south and computer crash I used my treo phone and downloaded program to create invoices on my phone complete with customer signature capabilities and used infra red port to beam to my cannon bubblejet printer to print out invoices....also looks very profesional....look into all the posibilities before commiting to a system...i think "mobile pro" comes to mind also mobile tech news had a co. advertising a program...