Replacement glass prices

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Replacement glass prices

Post by Nomad »

I have heard that glass prices are supposed to go up in the next year. Maybe double. I don't know anything about this except from one source who heard it on the grapevine. If this is true it would help the WSR industry I think. Anyone else heard anything?
rtclaus
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Replacement glass prices

Post by rtclaus »

God I hope your wrong!!!!
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by DryStar »

Nomad,

Although domestic U.S glass prices have risen, the Chinese imports have not. Most do not know that many of the windshield replacements are Chinese OEM copies. They bug them as original but they are not. Why our government allows this to happen is beyond my understanding.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

This OEM tag can be a bit confusing. A manufacturer can say his glass is supplied by a OE manufacturer but they may not be the OE manufacturer of that particular glass, but they do make OE glass for some other vehicle. Some car manufacturers now fit glass supplied from China, the last one I noticed in the UK was Volvo. The only guide to to use is to look at the side and rear glasses fitted to the vehicle, this usually indicates who is the actual OE manufacturer.