How does one approach a car dealer?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
groofop
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How does one approach a car dealer?

Post by groofop »

I'm 16 years old, and I've finally gotten the confidence I need to go out and get some cash.

Going to used car lots and asking if they have any chips I can repair for them seems like a good way of going about it, but I'm not sure.

It seems to me that doing wholesale for a while (until I'm a seasoned pro, and when I have a car) would get me alot of windshields, therefore, building skill/confidence and making me some money.

If anyone has any experience with dealers or would like to pass on some salesmanship skills or pitches, that'd be awesome :]
--
groofop
DryStar

Re: How does one approach a car dealer?

Post by DryStar »

groofob,

Whenever I approach a used car dealership I'll always park away from main lot and do a walk through. Make sure you inventory and write down the vehicles you find damage on (each vehicle will have a stock # on it). Find a vehicle that has damage that is clean and looks easy to repair. Walk in with your damage report (hopefully you have business attire that shows your a professional, nice printed logo on shirt is fine) and ask for the used car sales manager. Introduce yourself and offer him/her a free demo (at no charge) for that one damage you found that looks easy to repair. The important part is to have him or one of the sales associates to walk out with you and visualize the damage before it's repaired. If they are satisfied with your free demo then offer the other ones at half price today only off your regular price. (Your regular price should be between $30-$45 depending on the area you service)

Don't become discouraged if your first attempt fails. Just go to the next one and every one after that with a positive attitude. Eventually, you'll succeed with persistence. I also wanted to mention your business logo looks great!
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Dave M »

I'm curious before I give you any advise.....How are you carrying your equipment without a car? Have you not actually started your business yet?
t4k

Post by t4k »

I think Screenman once rode a motorcycle for his mode of transportation. :shock:
groofop

Post by groofop »

DryStar wrote:groofob,

Whenever I approach a used car dealership I'll always park away from main lot and do a walk through. Make sure you inventory and write down the vehicles you find damage on (each vehicle will have a stock # on it). Find a vehicle that has damage that is clean and looks easy to repair. Walk in with your damage report (hopefully you have business attire that shows your a professional, nice printed logo on shirt is fine) and ask for the used car sales manager. Introduce yourself and offer him/her a free demo (at no charge) for that one damage you found that looks easy to repair. The important part is to have him or one of the sales associates to walk out with you and visualize the damage before it's repaired. If they are satisfied with your free demo then offer the other ones at half price today only off your regular price. (Your regular price should be between $30-$45 depending on the area you service)

Don't become discouraged if your first attempt fails. Just go to the next one and every one after that with a positive attitude. Eventually, you'll succeed with persistence. I also wanted to mention your business logo looks great!
Thank you! Sounds logical, and makes sense. I think I'm over-complicating things in my head :roll:
Dave M wrote:I'm curious before I give you any advise.....How are you carrying your equipment without a car? Have you not actually started your business yet?
I use a hand truck, I'm only 16 you see...not enough money for real wheels quite yet.

That'll be my next big purchase. Yes I have, but I've only done one person's windshield actually.

Tomorrow is my first day going out and making some cash (hopefully).
t4k wrote:I think Screenman once rode a motorcycle for his mode of transportation. :shock:
You always make me laugh man :lol:
--
groofop
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

I use a hand truck, I'm only 16 you see...not enough money for real wheels quite yet.

That'll be my next big purchase. Yes I have, but I've only done one person's windshield actually.

Tomorrow is my first day going out and making some cash (hopefully).
Groofop, Just wanted to say I'm pulling for you. Your enthusiasm is inspiring. Your willingness to put your gear on a hand truck and walk lots looking for work says a lot about your character. Some will buy a kit, place an ad, wait for the phone to ring and complain this business doesn't work. I have a feeling you are going to be successful in this business and can't wait to hear the rest of your story. Good luck to you.
ChipMaster52

Post by ChipMaster52 »

You look OLDER than 16 in your profile photo.
groofop wrote:I'm 16 years old, and I've finally gotten the confidence I need to go out and get some cash.

Going to used car lots and asking if they have any chips I can repair for them seems like a good way of going about it, but I'm not sure.

It seems to me that doing wholesale for a while (until I'm a seasoned pro, and when I have a car) would get me alot of windshields, therefore, building skill/confidence and making me some money.

If anyone has any experience with dealers or would like to pass on some salesmanship skills or pitches, that'd be awesome :]
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

I don't think that this is a picture of groofob, it looks like a copy of an avatar image. Might be wrong but only groofob can answer that.
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

He is pictured in this image
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

He doesn't look much different from what I looked like at 16. Arms folded saying I'm bad!(typical for someone that age) At 18 years of age started my first business and for 16 years did very well until business opportunities dried up. Give him a break! He's a young but extremely motivated individual. Wish he lived in my area so I could mentor him. I have two nephews unemployed that I've tried to work with but neither will commit because they're just to lazy. Groofob will do fine given time.