virginia laws

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Emagdnim222

virginia laws

Post by Emagdnim222 »

Hey, i repair glass in mississippi, but my sister recently moved to virginia. She got a crack (about 10" or so) at the very bottom of the windshield the other day. On her way to the airport she was pulled over for the crack and ticketed for it. What are the laws in virginia on windshields being cracked? She was also ticketed because she just moved and had not updated her address on her license... crazy virginia cops! any help is much appreciated.
Chips-B-Gone

Re: virginia laws

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

I will try and find out for you on Friday or Saturday. I have heard 2 different stories. 1) as long as the crack is straight across and not in the "critical area" and does not go up or down it is ok... An inspection station actually passed a windshield like that..I think they were wrong and do not belong inspecting vehicles... 2) Can not be over 6" long. I will go to a "by the book" inspection station when I get a chance. They are closed tomorrow. Virginia is pretty particular on certain things.. ie: a certain amount of light has to pass thru the headlight lense or it will fail. Yoeelow headlight do not pass. I will check on it for you though... As a rule of thumb I do not repair anything over 6".
Emagdnim222

Post by Emagdnim222 »

thanks a bunch.. I appreciate all the help.. i just am used to all the really "relaxed" laws down here in mississippi and when she called me with this problem, i had no help for her. Also if her car is "illegal" are these fix it tickets??
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

This is from the Virginia state code.

7. There is a pit, chip, or star crack larger than 1
Emagdnim222

Post by Emagdnim222 »

ok so her windshield is no acceptable as far as an inspection goes... but is this a 1st offense type thing (a valid reason for a police officer to pull her over) she was not speeding or doing anything wrong.. the reason given to her as to why she was pulled over was because her windshield was "broken"
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

[quote="mafsu;27468"]This is from the Virginia state code.

7. There is a pit, chip, or star crack larger than 1
carlosshane1477

Post by carlosshane1477 »

I don't know some Virginia law. But I do know some of the Virginia auto repair that could repair her windshield.