Lint free...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jhickman1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Lint free...

Post by jhickman1 »

Im new to the WSR business. Delta Kits says to use a "lint free towel" for polishing and cleaning the glass. Does anybody use the "Box of Rags" brand of shop towels? Or do you know of a better option... Thanks for the help -Justin
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
bill lambeth

Re: Lint free...

Post by bill lambeth »

For polishing I use a cork and for cleaning something similar to a shimmy.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

bill lambeth wrote:For polishing I use a cork and for cleaning something similar to a shimmy.
And by "cork" you mean from a bottle?
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

bill lambeth wrote:For polishing I use a cork and for cleaning something similar to a shimmy.
And by "shimmy", you mean chamois?
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Yea on both sorry guys
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

I have used Bounty multi pack towels for years for clean up. Scot Blue towels are recommended for HLR by Delta-Costco.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

I use lint fee cotton shop rags and just launder them when needed, No fabric softener in rinse. Why waste money on paper towels?
t4k

Post by t4k »

I use microfiber towels and wash them weekly. I haven't used paper towels in years.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I use microfiber towels, but use a squeegee to clean the windshield after I have scrubbed it with a nylon mesh sponge and water with just a little Dawn dish washing liquid in it. About two or three drops in a quart. I use a spray bottle to wet the sponge and the ws but I like the pump up small garden sprayer types that hold maybe a quart and a half of liquid. I have found a regular spray bottle that works pretty well that shoots a larger quantity of liquid than the regular ones do. None of them seem to last a long time so have an extra handy just in case. A squeegee will save you lots of time and trouble cleaning a repaired windshield.

I bought one at a garage sale that had a bend in it, just a slight curve, put a new rubber in it and it's perfect for windshields. Get an etorie of an Unger stainless or brass, you can reverse the rubber for a new edge and the blades will last a lifetime. Home depot has them or go to a janitorial supply place. I have them from over a foot long down to four inches. The smaller ones will do the inside of the glass because it has a reverse curve that the longer ones can't handle.

I do use paper towels to wipe up resin, because my wife doesn't like the smell in the car. Just toss them in a trash can somewhere or stick it in a ziplock. I work in a large gravel lot a lot and sometimes I'll just burn a towel so I don't have to deal with touching it when I take my gloves off. I'm getting sensitized to resin I think.
Bois

Post by Bois »

I've used Viva towels for years because they were lint free. However, I've noticed these past few months that they are leaving lint on the windshields. Has anyone else noticed this or have I just bought a bunch of bad rolls?

Bois