Tips to make your WSR day easier!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
pommy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Tips to make your WSR day easier!

Post by pommy »

As Glassdoctor has recently made a thread on HLR tips:

I thought I'd share my WSR tips that I've found make my day easier - I hope you can all share yours too ;)

First up - is my invaluable non-slip mat!

Used EVERY day - it folds up nicely into my kit box. You'll see by the pics, even on a sloping surface - no movement.

Next - my small magnets for holding the burs. If like me, you put them down or fiddle with the small cases - this tip may help you as it did me. (The also hold the blades too).
If you get a soldering iron, place the magnet where you want it and hold the iron against the magnet, it will melt into the handle slowly.

Finally, the Dremel tool I use is slightly different, but the main difference is the polishing head I use for the pit polish application. A simple change, but makes polishing the pit much faster and clearer. You can also see that the Dremel has a quick change chuck - so no more collet sizes and fast changes between burs when needed.

I hope you find these simple, but effective modifications useful. If you have anything to add which would help, please add to the thread.

Have a great day - God bless ;)
Last edited by Kgobin on February 11th, 2012, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to post
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Auto Glass Rescue

Re: Tips to make your WSR day easier!

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

Great tips, thank you! Where can someone find that mat?
pommy

Post by pommy »

The mats are found in almost every supermarket here in Australia - they are used for putting under rugs to stop them slipping etc.

I'm not selling or endorsing them, and it's for the forum:

Cheers,

Pommy
Last edited by Kgobin on February 11th, 2012, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added image to post
Cryatal_Image

Post by Cryatal_Image »

My wife uses these mats (cut to fit) in the cupboard so glasses dont slip and slide. So you might find them in that part of the store as well. Great idea for use on the car though. I even thought of using that rubberish pad you find under carpet too
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Nice.

You can get rolls of that in auto and hardware stores too, sold as toolbox/drawer liner. Nice and heavy duty. When I used a toolbox, I had a piece of vinyl material I got from some friends that had a trimline shop. It had a soft fuzzy side and a fake leather side, and it worked pretty good, but this liner material is nicer because it's non-slip. You can also find non-perf type stuff too.

My tip for the week...
What works great for me, is using a soft tool bag, like the bucket boss "gatemouth" type with zipper top and pockets inside and out. It makes working more efficient, especially if you do any fleet work at all. But if all you do is retail jobs, the hard case foam lined toolboxes might have a more "professional tool kit" appearance. Maybe. I guess that depends on how clean and organized you keep your stuff. A soft tool bag can be setup to look very professional and slick, or could look disorganized and cheap. A nice hard side case from a w/s supplier can look presentable and professional, or could look old and grungy if you haven't kept it clean over the years.

IMO the more important thing is how professional you present yourself. But don't forget about what your equipment might be saying
Cryatal_Image

Post by Cryatal_Image »

i replaced my box with a type of tackle box if you will. You open it and everything folds out. Works great for me
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I would never place a tool box on a customers vehicle, even a non slip mat like that can cause damage. Between that mat and the paint are lots of sharp bits just waiting to damage the paint, even if you do not damage it the customer can blame other damage on you. Plain lazy is the way I see it, what is up with putting your tool box on the ground.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

This mat came standard in the GW kits. Sixteen/seventeen years ago. These mats often leave a ''bubble-like'' print on the vehicles, it requires a ''polish'' or clean up after you remove the mat from the vehicle's surface. And what about sand and all that.....brrr. Bad idea. Too much hassle. Like Screenman: I would never place a toolbox on the customer's vehicle. We were even told to not do something silly like that during our training. Old school I guess.
pommy

Post by pommy »

screenman wrote:I would never place a tool box on a customers vehicle, even a non slip mat like that can cause damage. Between that mat and the paint are lots of sharp bits just waiting to damage the paint, even if you do not damage it the customer can blame other damage on you. Plain lazy is the way I see it, what is up with putting your tool box on the ground.
You need to adjust your attitude buddy.

Don't throw lazy accusations around, whether you "see it like that" or not.

It wouldn't hurt for you to be more constructive in your replies.

I do see your point though, but don't you think it would be better received in a polite manner?

And for the record, I've done 100's of repairs and never had an issue, not one.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

The company I used to work for used to use similar types of bonnet ( hood) cover but stopped for 3 reasons

1) As previosly mentioned - a risk of scratching between cover and bonnet

2) The steel used in car manufacture has been significantly reduced in thickness, making denting a much higher risk

3) Customer impression - they did not like to see their bonnet being used as a work bench.