Starting a windshield repair business with a felony.

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
kewiglass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Starting a windshield repair business with a felony.

Post by kewiglass »

I am 30 years old, and interested in starting a windshield repair business. I have a felony robbery on my record. For those curious, it happened when I had just turned 17 years old but I was tried as an adult. Does anyone know if this will prohibit me from obtaining anything necessary to run my business, such as permits, licenses, or liability insurance? I live in Los Angeles. Any information would be helpful, but answers based off of firsthand experience would be better than general advice like "Just get it expunged!" or "You should have thought about that before you... " ;)

Thanks in advance guys!
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Starting a windshield repair business with a felony.

Post by Frank EU »

Unsure how insurance companies view this. We all know how they can act eh? Also, could this vary per State, ie: if this is a problem in CA, would relocating to, for example, NE be an option? Still problems? Than, another option >are you in a (steady) relationship? Have it in her/his name if you face problems. Succes, whatever you do.
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Actually this won't cause you a problem at all.
jimmymaguire

Post by jimmymaguire »

Yeah, it's true. This won't cause you a problem at all.
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

I do not think it asks about you back records on any of the app's you will be needing to start a Legitimate business. If you have you act straight, do not even bring it up at all in you business either... You were young and just made the wrong choice at the time.... You served your time, it is done and over... enjoy you new life....

They do not ask, you do not tell... Privacy act
Just Chippen Away
kewiglass

Post by kewiglass »

UPDATE: Thanks everyone, it was a non-issue.
MDMobileWindRepair

Post by MDMobileWindRepair »

Not a problem just make sure you properly register your business and do not use your last name as part of the business name. Email me for any information regarding starting a business or getting around with the felony part. This can be a great business for second chances.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

SGC just updated its policy and I believe it will affect anyone with a felony....I'm sure there are ways around it. Just figured I would mention this, especially if you plan to join the networks.

I got an email last week with the updated info, maybe I misread it, maybe I didn't...Below is exactly what we got and I changed the font to red for the felony info:

ADDENDUM
Addendum effective July 26, 2012 to that certain Safelite Network Participation
Agreement/Safelite® Solutions Network Participation Agreement (the “Agreement”)
between Safelite Solutions LLC (hereinafter “Safelite Solutions”) and the notified party
(“Participant”).
In accordance with Provision 7.4 of the Agreement, the following changes to the
Agreement shall be binding upon Participant, unless within ten (10) days of the receipt of
this addendum, Participant notifies Safelite in writing of its objection to the change and
Participant’s election to terminate this Agreement as of the effective date of the change:
1. The Agreement is hereby amended by replacing Provision 1.10 in its
entirety with the following:

1.10 Participant shall comply with each applicable insurance and/or fleet
company’s program requirements or marketing guidelines, whether
communicated by the company or by Safelite Solutions orally or in
writing. Notwithstanding, Participant agrees and acknowledges that
unauthorized use of insurance or fleet company trademarks, logos, or other
intellectual property is prohibited. Further, Participant shall not offer,
directly or indirectly, to any insurance agent or its personnel anything of
value in consideration for the referral of work paid for from the proceeds
of an automobile insurance policy.

2. The Agreement is hereby amended by adding Provision 1.12 as follows:

1.12 Participant agrees that Participant shall not, nor shall it knowingly permit
any of its employees or permitted contractors to, perform jobs pursuant to
this Agreement if the individual is a convicted felon or could pose a risk of
harm to others. Participant and each of its employees and/or permitted
contractors shall meet any or all background check criteria communicated
from time to time.

3. The Agreement is hereby amended by replacing Provision 5.4 in its
entirety with the following:

5.4 Participant agrees to deliver to Safelite Solutions a certificate of insurance
designating Safelite Solutions as a certificate holder, and said certificate
shall be updated at the time of any renewal or change in coverage.
Safelite Solutions shall be notified in writing at least thirty (30) days

ATX
kewiglass

Post by kewiglass »

Well. Now that is unfortunate for me. Thank you for taking the time to post that update. I don't know what I'll do now, except to hope that a background check isn't done until I can figure something out. I wonder if I were to use a 3rd party processor if that would be a type of workaround. I don't want to pay another company for something I can just as easily do myself, but it appears I may not have another option. I'm not sure how those 3rd party companies work. Do I just call them instead of Safelite or Lynx when I have a claim? I'll search the forum for answers since this seems like a question that is probably already answered, but if anyone has any insight or recommendations that would be nice. Thanks in advance. Just when I thought the waters were safe...
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

Don't let this bump in the road get you down, crap happens in peoples lives, whether you made your mistakes intentionally or unintentionally.....you can't go back and fix it, you just have to move forward and make the best out of your life NOW!

With that said....

SGC and Lynx are not super important to you running a successful WSR biz, you can still take insurance from customers, you will just have to do a direct bill method. You could also take the headache out of it and just explain the reimbursement process to your customers. Basically, you tell them they can get their money back from their insurance provider, so they pay you, you give them an invoice, and they submit it to their insurance co., and get a check in the mail within a few weeks.

I cannot stress to you how important it is to NOT give up because of your history, and make the best of your life now. Move on, and make it work, nobody has to know about your history.

When I moved to Austin in 2003, I had 1 set of clothes (what I had on), not a single penny in my pocket, no bank account, credit cards, and I lived in a halfway house. No family to help, no one to turn to.....I got a job at a local car wash, moved out of the halfway house after about 5-6 weeks, into my own apartment. Got some assistance from a local church, clothing, dishes, furniture, etc....

Got a better job working for the state, and in late 2005 I started my detailing company doing 1 to 2 jobs a day in the morning, while working my 8 hours on 2nd shift with the state. March of 2006, I quit my state job and went into my detailing biz full time and I added WSR in late 2006 and HLR in 2009. While working for the state I met my current girlfriend, and we now have a beautiful 7 month old baby girl!

I don't want to bore you with my story, because this is about you. Just don't be too hard on yourself, and don't give up.

Justin - ATX