Just starting out questions

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Just starting out questions

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:Ok cool.

Most of the kits are very similar - being that they use a varied sequence of sanding discs, tools, some sort of polishing and then a UV coating.

In my opinion, and a number of others I know - Infinity is the best UV coating currently available.

As you're starting out, you will need good customer service from your supplier as you will have hiccups along the way.

These two things would make me suggest Delta as your supplier ;)

I've personally used Delta Kits, Glass Technology, Glasweld, Solaray and various other smaller kits you can readily buy online, Delta would be first choice for simplicity and support.

Glass Technolgy produces similar results, but thy have a compound (can be messy) and no UV coating. (The Diamond stuff they sell is nothing more than an emulsive bumper shine).

Hope this info helps.

If you need anything more, ask away!

Cheers,

Pommy
I have to agree with comments about Infinity and the supplier. When I need questions answered (especially when I first started), they were there every step of the way.
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:
Old Blue 66 wrote:We just bought a small sport ute for the business. If fits all the gear (but I always carry too much anyway. Cant be too prepared).
<<<Wants to see the ute!

@ OP - do you have any kit already? Any tools etc? You say price is important - you might be able to look at kits and buy what you need, not the whole thing ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
I bought this thing for the tailgate. Instant workbench. Its a 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander and its about to get a wrap job. Its manufacturing plant about 30 minutes from my house. One of my dealers gave me a good deal on it.

Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Totally jealous. :mrgreen:
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:Totally jealous. :mrgreen:
I used to work out of the black 2009 Camry in the fist pic. Not enough room. Now it just sits there.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning! Your best bet is to start with DK . I earned enough the first few weeks to pay for the HLR kit. Within 5 months just from the HLR kit I earned enough to pay for a double bridge WSR kit and trip to Oregon for training. I was making money within 48 hours of receiving the kit with no prior training. I looked at the videos and followed the directions. I 've learned a lot since then and I try new methods and experiment these days on hard to do lens. You need a solid base to jump start your business and DK in my opion is your best option without risk. If you can sell yourself, you have 50% of the battle won. The Product will sell itself on the result phase. Take before and after photos to show new customers. Tape, Tape, Tape. I cant stress that enough to you. Take your time and follow the directions. I use a Ford Explorer an that works for everything. I plan in the future to get a vehicle with better gas miliage. I know now what things I need to carry and how much space I need. I was one of those tecks that loaded up everything just so I wouldn't have to go back to my home to get something that i mighth use only once and a great moon. I also have a small stool for headlights. My back gives out quick bending over and the stool solves that problem. Read this forum's old post and you will gain a better insight on how to deal with cetain issues that may arise. Have a good day. candyman. welcome to our world! You can make money
skyguy

Post by skyguy »

Hey thanks for the replies. Another question I have, is does your business slow down in the winter? Or are you forced to stop doing HR during the winter? (I live in Indiana)

Thanks for all the replies!
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning! I Lived in Marion, Warsaw, Ft Wayne & Indianapolis during a six year tour with the Military. I know what your winters are like. Your business will slow down a little when the weather goes below 32 during the day. I live on the east coast now and we have mild winters. As long as the temp is above 40 dgs you should be ok with the products. Indianapolis is a large city so you have a hugh customer base. I lived in the Whitehall and Reynoldsburg area on the east side.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I live in the Midwest as well. Winter months (late Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb) will be challenged. But its the wise business owner that will take the bull by the horns and figure something out.

If you have any customers, now is the time to start talks with them about indoor space. I'm not going to let weather get in the way of my business. So far I have indoor approval from half of my dealer base. Today, I got word that a group of dealers all owned by the same company are going to set up an empty dealer building they own to take pics of all their cars in the winter. They said I could use the building too for all four of their dealers I work for on that strip.

If they value your work, then they will find space indoors for you to continue. There's no question that if your used to working outdoors, cramming yourself into a small indoor space will suck. But you still have to keep the money flowing.

Most of my dealers are in clumps in different cities, so if I have to find a garage somewhere to rent nearby each area I will.
Paul Weinstein
skyguy

Post by skyguy »

Thanks for the replies. I'm still wondering if this is the best time to get started. I actually live about an hour or little more east of Indy in a small poor town.
candyman

Post by candyman »

You will have your kit paid off after several HLRs. Get your training and experience now and when the spring comes you will be seasoned enough to tackle your market. I live in a small town of less than 16K. We are one of the poorest counties in the state. As a mobile service you can expand your market as needed. Good luck to you.