Pit Polish

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
DavidB
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Pit Polish

Post by DavidB »

Hey guys....quick questions reagrding pit polish.
I was never taught to use polish, but was taught to use pit filler.
So I'm curious was the polish actually does. Once I use the filler and scrape, it's smooth. So what does the polish do that makes a difference?
Secondly, I've seen buffing wheels being used with the polish on various videos, but when I watch the videos on the Delta site, they are buffing by hand. So what's the difference if any between using a buffing wheel or with a cloth by hand?
Thanks for the feedback!

DavidB
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Pit Polish

Post by Mr Bill »

If you want your repair to be even less visible and harder to find; use pit polish.
A thirty second shine with pit polish and a paper towel works great.
A five second shine with pit polish and a polishing wheel will achieve the same results.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Most of the time I use a polishing wheel on the end of a dremel. I find that it impresses the client, you have a tool for that that others don't have. Lots of techs don't even fill the pit, much less do any polishing, so this will make you look like a real professional. In reality I don't think it makes difference which way you do it, it will shine just fine either way. The choice is up to you.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I use the pit polish with my finger and a soft fiber rag the majority of the time. I also have a polishing wheel for my dremel that I use on certain repairs. I also will use a shop towel at times. I agree with the other post. It gives the blemish a better appearance, less noticeable
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Pit polish,as well as giving that final professional finish to a repair is important to use in the wiper sweep area to reduce friction between the wiper blade and the surface ensuring the surface of the repair lasts longer.
t4k

Post by t4k »

It's the icing on the cake !
CHal

Post by CHal »

Is there a brand of pit polish that anyone would recommend? The one I started out with (a hand-me-down from a retired glass technician) I can't find anywhere online? I was really happy with how it made the repair look more translucent and less opaque.

Thank you!
Ghostteck

Post by Ghostteck »

I agree with everyone the pit polish just creates a finished look and take away any fine scratches.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Nomad wrote: I find that it impresses the client, you have a tool for that that others don't have. Lots of techs don't even fill the pit, much less do any polishing, so this will make you look like a real professional.
Its part of the show.
Makes you look good.
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

That's right. It's part of the show. Which is one reason I don't fill long cracks with a Q-Tip.

Cheers;

Puka Pau