Cloudy Finish Help

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
DavidB
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Cloudy Finish Help

Post by DavidB »

Hey guys...needing some help.
When I complete my repair and scrape away the pit filler, the finish is cloudy, yet looked great before I used the pit resin. It makes me not want to use the pit resin but I know that isn't the answer.
What can be causing this, am I doing something wrong?
Please help!!
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Cloudy Finish Help

Post by Mr Bill »

Are you polishing after you use the razor blade to scrape off the excess resin?
Do you use a new razor blade each time?
Are you certain there is no moisture left in the pit?
candyman

Post by candyman »

I've noticed that if you dont let the pit resin cure competley the results are dull. Check your pit resin also. I no longer leave mine in the vehicle when its hot outside because I've seen this happen a few times during the summer especially when I was getting near an empty bottle. When I have 2 breaks, same WS I use a new blade for both. Thats how I was trained. About 12 months ago a customer had knocked a chunk of glass off the inside of his Classic Mustang. The Rearview mirror broke off pulling about a 2 inch section off. I used Plate glass resin and filled the spot. It looked great untill I tried to polish and smooth it out. When he attached the new mirror it covered up the dull section. From the outside loooking in you couldnt tell it was ever broken.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Two ways to solve your problem. Pit polish on well cured resin or place a small drop on it and a tab cure and remove if you did it the right amount it will be ok takes some practice to do it this way. The easiest is polish :D
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

be sure that your razor doesn't chatter across the resin
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Mr Bill wrote:Are you polishing after you use the razor blade to scrape off the excess resin?
Do you use a new razor blade each time?
Are you certain there is no moisture left in the pit?
Mr Bill...no I have not been polishing. I posted about "polish" the other week. I wasn't taught about polishing, but have since placed an order and it is due in this coming week. I'm hoping this helps.

Yes, I'm certain there was absolutely no moisture, and the razor blade had been used only once.
I'm curious to see the results with polish.

Thanks for the reply!
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

David,

As others have said, as long as you're curing and using a good blade, you're going to be impressed with what that polish does for your finished repair. I typically use the cardboard from my razor blade to apply and just vigorously buff the filled pit. Follow up with us and share how it goes!!!

Good luck!!