Surface Pits on Windshields

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
nixquax
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Surface Pits on Windshields

Post by nixquax »

Delta Kit's Korey Gobin recently attended the ROLAGS meeting in San Diego and this topic of surface pits came up. I recommend that if a customer or potential customer has one or two simply fill them as a "freebie". This way you will get the customer satisfaction knowing you are helping them out and not just out to make the "cold hard cash" like others.
screenman

Re: Surface Pits on Windshields

Post by screenman »

A lot of this depends on who wants the job done and how much it costs me in time and money to do them, I do not do any insurance work so it is not a dodgy claim I am doing on them.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

If you fill a surface pit, will the resin stay attached to the glass permanently?
Personally, I doubt it.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Some of my trade customers ask me to do these pitfill repairs to improve the cosmetic appearance of the vehicles they have for sale. I invoice them as temporary surface chip repairs.
nixquax

Post by nixquax »

I use a drop of Delta's Premium pit fill resin only on noticeable pits, film tab it, cure and polish. Simple and it does the trick. Stays intact. Looks better. The customers love it when they get this "Gratis" (free). Of course if the WS is full of pits then its not worth the time and effort. Its not a repair so I cannot charge them for it.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

being a mobile only co at this time, I make sure over the phone that the damage is not a pit damage, if the customer is persistent about having it repaired, then I'll do it, but I do have to charge, since I'm driving to them, time, gas, etc....I know thats not the cool thing, but doing the cool thing doesn't pay the bills!

As for the pit, if it's a small junk with a smooth indent, I use my drill and make the pit more porous, which allows the pit resin to stick better.
Eco Steam Car Wash & Detailing
screenman

Post by screenman »

I clean the pit with a bur, I add a drop of Magnibond and inspect to make sure there are no white bits of the pit showing, I then gently wipe the Magnibond out leaving the pit slightly damp and then top up with Pit fill.
PUextrusion
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by PUextrusion »

Many mobile repair jobs are usually a previous repair where the top has come off or a surface chip, as most of my work is insurance it isnt a billable job but as i am already at the address i explain to the customer that it just requires a pitfill which will be free of charge.

All i do is remove any dirt or debrit using a probe or brush and dab the effected area with acetone.
Place a drop of pitfill above the chip and allow to slowly run in
Remove any air bubbles using the corner of the mylar.
Place mylar over pitfill and cover with prewarmed UV lamp.
Cure for 2 mins.
Remove lamp and mylar clean pitfill back with a safety blade using polish and cleaner as a lubricant.
Using the brown sleeve from the blade, polish for extra smoothness and creates the perfect finish.

Cleaning the whole screen you can now present your workmanship to your happy customer and present them with a business card to ensure future work from them and there friends.

Sometimes you have to give to get.