State of the Business

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Jesse
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

State of the Business

Post by Jesse »

I do a lot of insurance repairs and have got a vibe that the insurance companies are wanting to curb the number of WSR. Things like inspections and other little things they have been doing. How secure is the business? Is there a possibly the insurance companies may decide to not waive deductibles? Where would I find info on this? Is there a organization for WSR techs?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: State of the Business

Post by Brent Deines »

Jesse wrote:I do a lot of insurance repairs and have got a vibe that the insurance companies are wanting to curb the number of WSR. Things like inspections and other little things they have been doing. How secure is the business? Is there a possibly the insurance companies may decide to not waive deductibles? Where would I find info on this? Is there a organization for WSR techs?
Hi Jesse, welcome to the forum. You have some valid concerns. There is a strong debate regarding whether or not it would be beneficial or detrimental to our industry if all insurance companies stopped waiving deductibles. My hope is that if they do they will also make high deductibles very attractive, which would encourage people to have their windshields repaired, but there is no guarantee that is what would happen. A significant part of the windshield repair industry exists primarily because insurance companies waive deductibles and I think it is fair to say if that went away so would many of those who have no fleet or cash business. On the other hand, those with strong fleet and cash based businesses would likely benefit from this "thinning of the herd".

I'm obviously biased but I think the windshield repair industry is secure for those who are watching the current trends, not just here in the states but around the world, and maintaining a flexible business model. It's not like it used to be 20 years ago, but then again, what business is? I still maintain that windshield repair is one of the few industries that an entrepreneur can enter for such a low investment and pay for that investment several times over in just a few days or weeks before having to purchase additional equipment or supplies. This is good and bad. It's good because someone who is bright and hard working can start a business on a shoestring and make a pretty good living at it. It's bad because a lot of people enter the industry who are not capable of running a successful business but feel there is nothing to lose by trying.

The National Windshield Repair Association is the organization devoted to windshield repair technicians and issues, although not very well supported considering the size of the industry. http://www.nwrassn.org/
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
johnmclaren

Post by johnmclaren »

That sounds quiet judgmental. May be that the rise in the insurance claims have provoked such thoughts but the regulatory authorities would definitely look into this and try fixing it in no time. The proper knowledge of the clauses prior to availing a policy is the best thing one can do.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

All industies change some people keep doing things the way they always did and fall by the wayside. Those that move thier way of doing buisness with the time survive. I was in the Auto sales buisness for 20+ years I can tell you those who try to sell cars today and work the way we did in the early 80's will fail. The same can be said about most industies. If the Insurance companies are changing policy then the time is now to change your buisness not later. Find new customers who pay for repairs dont count on insurance they might not be there tomorrow.
JRDWSR

Post by JRDWSR »

The state of the business doesn't matter. The state of YOUR business does. How's your business doing? I bet it's not slumping as much as America's National glass leader. If it is slumping, maybe you're paying too much attention to "the industry" as you see it.

Do yourself a favor, get off all the networks and win your own business. If you can't make the phone ring, figure out a way to make it ring. You are the only one that matters in this "industry" if you want to consider it one. Inspections today, hula-hoops to jump through tomorrow. So long as the industry is monopolized. Your only competition is yourself.