I am getting streaks when apply the coat2protect

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
J.glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by J.glass »

I am getting visible streaks after applying the coat2protect
steps I have taken
cleaned after each step
then coat2protect combo with lint free shop cloth

What is the safe drive away time on the product

what do you guys prefer infinity 4.1 or coat2protect?
candyman

Re: I am getting streaks when apply the coat2protect

Post by candyman »

Good morning. After your last polishing, clean the lens with clean2prep. Dont touch the lens with your finger tips. If using the C2C make sure you mix 50/50. Dont apply in direct sun light. Dont go back over the first coat untill it has dried. This can cause streaking. Let the vehicle sit at least 15 min. I use the C2C only on lenses that have a lot of defects or pitted. I prefer the Infiniti 4.1 It dries quickly > I drive some of the vehicles back to the owner within 10-20 minutes of applying the 4.1 and the lenses look great. No touching for 4- 6 hours and no washing for 24 hours. I recommend no wand washing of headlamps and to use only soap & water to clean. A few drops of liquid dishwashing such as DAWN in a spray bottle of water. Should be cleaned with this solution after a heavy rain, mud & grime or after night driving, bugs on lenses. This will help keep the lenses clear.
candyman

Post by candyman »

You can also try 320, 500, 800, 1500, 3000 I some times will alternate pads 180, 320, 600, 800 or1200, 1500, 3000 The lens condition and which UV coating I use determines whitch dics to sand with.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

It takes a lot of practice to get a streak free finish. Just keep working at it and you'll get the hang of it.

Also, try to not load your towel with too much solution and use lighter strokes as you apply.

Never go over the same area twice!! Some of the lines will self level as it dries.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

I am going to suggest the opposite of t4k, make sure to have enough product on the paper towel so that you don't have wipe and re-wipe. Make sure you are overlapping too.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Dr. chipster is right as well. My key word to you is not TOO much solution. We did agree on one thing though :shock: ....do not re-wipe.

Again, practice makes perfect and you will find the perfect way for you!
J.glass

Post by J.glass »

Thanks for all the tips
I did a safari today and turned out pretty good

P/S
anyone know the safe drive away time for clear2protect?
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:You can also try 320, 500, 800, 1500, 3000 I some times will alternate pads 180, 320, 600, 800 or1200, 1500, 3000 The lens condition and which UV coating I use determines which disc to sand with.
There are only a handful of cars that you could ever need 180 for. We start with 500 on nearly every car. No disrespect, but I think your sanding method is way overkill.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

For the 4.1 The sanding disc sequence listed plus the 1200 are recommend for the wow factor. I dont always use the 1200, depending on the lens condition. I use the 180 when I have hard coating surfaces and there are a number of vehicles that require it. If you dont, the process to remove the old coating can take 5 or more 320s each headlight. I use a different method now to remove the hard coating, then I start back with either the 800 or1200, 1500 then the 3000. I never start with a disc higher than 320, unless Iam just polishing it. Its important to get the lens smooth and saves time sanding. If I have small surface cracks on the lens, that 320 will smooth it out. I've done a number of headlights that have been painted. New trend with some of the kids, untill they get a ticket. The 180 & 320 will remove the paint and smooth it out.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:For the 4.1 The sanding disc sequence listed plus the 1200 are recommend for the wow factor. I dont always use the 1200, depending on the lens condition. I use the 180 when I have hard coating surfaces and there are a number of vehicles that require it. If you dont, the process to remove the old coating can take 5 or more 320s each headlight. I use a different method now to remove the hard coating, then I start back with either the 800 or1200, 1500 then the 3000. I never start with a disc higher than 320, unless Iam just polishing it. Its important to get the lens smooth and saves time sanding. If I have small surface cracks on the lens, that 320 will smooth it out. I've done a number of headlights that have been painted. New trend with some of the kids, untill they get a ticket. The 180 & 320 will remove the paint and smooth it out.
Care to share?
Paul Weinstein