Lil buddy, a good purchase.

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Lil buddy, a good purchase.

Post by pa glass »

I finally got my self a setting tool. I have used the Lil Buddy about five times now with great success. If anyone is on the fence about it I would say go for it.
jbmoose

Re: Lil buddy, a good purchase.

Post by jbmoose »

They're pretty good. Much better than the One Tech, as the Lil Buddy allows you to actually dip stuff somewhat under high hood edges
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Bought one over a year ago and used it only a couple times. I need to start using it more. I do a good one-man set by myself but often regret not throwing it on the truck when I go out on the bigger shields. Thanks for the reminder to get better at using it :)
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

A lot of fitters have said to me that using a device like a "Buddy" is a waste of time, saying that by the time you have set it up you could have " thrown" the glass over and completed the job. Well all I can say to that is, that's fine, if you only intend to be in the job for a short time but if your in it for the long haul you might want to have a think about that. One of the most precious thing you can hang onto is your good health. The risk of seriously damaging your back when throwing a screen on, is high and increases as you get older. So, to me, it makes sense to use a device that reduces the risk. Besides that, it looks a darn site more professional to the customer.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

As a follow-up to my previous post, I would like to report:

I used mine 3 or 4 times in the last week on some trucks (3/4 ton-1ton) and it worked beautifully. I did a careful review of their videos on their site and this ensured my success. Before I was trying to simply use their manual as a guide and found it difficult to absorb. I'm a visual type of person. I will be using this product FAR more in the future for a few reasons. 1. It truly does help a man's back in this job. 2. Once you study the proper method, the measuring and set-up doesn't take TOO much time, though it takes MORE time for sure. 3. I watch TV sometimes, and I notice these Safelite commercials advertising that their tech's can do a replacement that is "near factory" due to their fancy contraption. You and I know that this is a fallacy. Their setting tool is no better than a good, professional hand-set, but it looks jazzy to the customer and makes a damn good TV commercial. People are impressed with advanced tools. Use them and increase your professional credibility.

Another note on professional credibility: make sure your truck is clean and don't look like a total hack, unless of course you are, in that case, keep doing what you are doing and those of us who are reputable and professional will continue to put you out of business.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

I finally had one job I just couldn't set with the buddy. It was a chevy HHR. The hood is just too curved for it. I took a couple shots at dry and gave up. Been great with any other where there are no stops and no way to attach a stop because the shield drops below the metal.
wsreplacementcos

Post by wsreplacementcos »

I bought one of these about a year ago and used a couple times with pretty good results. I wasn't crazy about the time it took to set up for a windshield install so I quit using it for a while. That was until about 4 months ago I decided to give it another go and have used it on just about every minivan install I have done. It gets a whole lot easier to use after a few installs and I agree it does look much more professional than straining your back out in front of a customer. :D
MichaelSmedley

Post by MichaelSmedley »

The most common complaint I hear about the Lil Buddy is set up time. Like any tool, practice makes perfect. If you use the device on every job you get better/quicker at using it. In reality it take 5 mins to set up and less to take down.

The positives are, more accurate setting of the windscreens first time, less stress on the body long term, money saved on second technician.

One of the most important things to mention is to have the device to hand on the vehicle (for mobile techs). We have found if the technician has to climb into the back of the truck for a tool, its likely not to be used. Have it in a place as easy to access as your toolbox and it will be used.

And no we don't distribute the Lil buddy, however we do use them.
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

I find the set up quite easy. So far, on every job I have just stuck the side mount pretty much all the way forward and nearly all the way up on the door glass with the setting post straight up. Never measured once. I have never had to re position it. Takes ten seconds. Prep the shield and turn it over. Pole goes about six inches from top and over to the sticker. Again only ten seconds. Here is where you might want to take a little time. I do dry fit first with any larger glass or any that have high fenders that you may have to "tuck" the shield under. You don't want to have to deal with not touching urethane at the same time as checking how you plan to install. This will take you about one to two minutes but save a potential big mistake. On many smaller, lighter weight shields with fairly open setting areas I just wing it and really never have any trouble. I did but a non slip floor mat from a home store to place a step on to. I need the extra hight for some and I had the step start to kick out on me over the cement floor once. A very scary moment.