Potential first HLR of me. Porsche 996

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Potential first HLR of me. Porsche 996

Post by t4k »

Old Blue 66 wrote:
t4k wrote:
candyman wrote: However after you polish with the 3000 it should be clear. Sometimes , depending on the lens , vehicle make, it may not have that wow shine, or finish. Once you apply the 4.1 or Clear2coat it should clear up completely.
Exactly!

My final polishing pad is a 4000 grit. No compounding required!!
I did research on the disc you use. They are expensive!! And yo m,ust have a different sanding grit procedure too as they dont make a 1200 or a 1500. I think the compound tales less time than using a disc. Go over the lens once and you're done. Just my opinion.
Yes they are expensive and I only use them in the finer grits...2000, 3000 and 4000 grit.

I only do about 4-5 headlight jobs per week now and I only do them for the high-end dealership's service and pre-owned departments. Subsequently, the fee for these lights are significantly higher and the cost of the disks are factored into the total price.

I spend the balance of my day do windshield repairs!!
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Got it. All we do are headlights and we operate on volume. So I watch every penny we spend on each job and each type of car.
Paul Weinstein
mobilejay
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by mobilejay »

Good info. I know it's difficult to explain to someone that hasn't done it before, like you said. But as I read all this and take it all in, while I'm doing the lights, ill be able to think back and say, ah that's what they meant about ____.