The skill/equipment/efficiency balance

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: The skill/equipment/efficiency balance

Post by Windshield911 »

khackett
I have used UB for years and like it. Every person is different, check out different companies websites and watch their videos to get a grasp on how their tools work. I have a UB injector that is probably 16-17 years old and works like brand new, it has been put through a gauntlet and used alot also. I also have one that is only maybe 4 years old. Like other posters have said, get you quality tools that will last. Some of the cheap tools will breakdown and you will have to spend more money to replace them.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

My first was a Windshield Doctor it was cheap so I bought it. Only so much it could do. Has no vac limited pressure an expensive fish weight in my opinion
khackett

Post by khackett »

Great feedback guys, thanks! Windshield911, are you using UB bridges as well? They look a little wonky to me. Poly-Lite's Cat Bridge has worked great for me, so I'd like to continue using it. I'm growing more intrigued with the UB injector though!
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Yes, I use the UB bridges and they work great in my opinion. Again, everybody has different preferences. The UB bridges are very sturdy and will last a very long time.
khackett

Post by khackett »

Cool, thanks. Do you use the Deluxe or Quick-Turn injector? I have to say the Quick-Turn injector looks fantastic in the videos. If you have any tips, I welcome them too, because UB is a leading candidate. Thanks!
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

I use the Deluxe on long cracks to add the primer and the quickturn on chip repairs. It cuts the time in half on chip repairs. The injectors are easy to clean. Don't just take my word as I don't want to seem to be pushing a product. Do research on all the different companies and see what you like best. Let me go cry in shame now as my LSU Tigers just got embarrassed. Hopefully the Saints will bring my spirits up tomorrow, haha.
screenman

Post by screenman »

How can you get more simple than the bridge and injector I posted about earlier, I will happily match my repairs against anything any other tool can do for both speed and quality of repair.

From experience much prefer a single suction cup bridge with a flip lever action, I can easily place this on the glass and lock it in place one handed. I do not like the multi suction cup bridges that needs you to push it in place and slide it about on gels to get it correctly lined up, way to messy. I also find that the Delta style one I mentioned earlier allows me far more options on many of the curved windshields I work on.

Also I want light weight on the glass, this allow less chance of stress to the damage whilst carrying out the repair, even more so on vertical glass.

As for high vacuum, well that is a total myth, it is not needed, with a very small understanding of how liquids cannot compress and how air can you will soon understand why.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Yes science is a myth and of course the world is flat. :-) if you create a vacume it will pull the resin in. Now can you make a great repair without Vacume of course you can. Should you have to now thats a good question.
khackett

Post by khackett »

Screenman, what Delta injector were you referring to earlier in the thread? Also, I'm curious about these flip bridges. Do you have to put down a sealant to achieve suction with the windshield, or do you just flip and go? I admit I'm skeptical - compared to a regular high quality suction cup. Thanks again for the input!
screenman

Post by screenman »

http://www.deltakits.com/shopping/bridges

The 10440 is the one's I use and no sealant is required. Now not sure what one of the other manufacturers bridges use now but the one I had here used a $5 suction cup that was very floppy compared with the one I use. I am very sure if you bought a Delta bridge and it did not work then Delta would do something about.

GlassStarz, compared with hydraulics vacuum has very little power, think about it how many earth diggers use vacuum to lift or push with, not saying like you that it does not work just that it is a poor myth that it works quicker or better. Of course it goes without saying you know the pulling power of a vacuum, well not really pulling power more the 14psi pushing power that is created once the vacuum is released, not really much when you consider the 250psi you can create with an hydraulic system. Now of course you also know that pushing resin in compresses the air left in the break and when the pressure is released the air will rush out into the atmosphere where it is in a more relaxed state.

No I do not feel the world is flat, however I do know how to make a very good living without working to hard from WSR.