Tiny Chip to 3" Crack...Grrr

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Tiny Chip to 3" Crack...Grrr

Post by candyman »

I have discovered that the heat sinc will cause a break to crack out or a crack to run. You learn quick in this business what not to do. I was told a few months back by DK to start cooling the glass away from the break first. I seldom use it these days. I use a wet towel or a alcohol / water mist and let it run down the glass. I cover the break with a chip saver to keep water out. Working in heat or cold you will develope your on techniwque depending on the type of break and environment conditions. Its been almost 5 years now and I still discover new methods by trial and error or talking with others.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I had a crack out once when using the heatsink, but it was in my experimenting days trying to see how far I could push it. Extremely hot and extremely cold it did not like.

I tend to use the drystar or torch, then leave for a minute or two which lets the heat spread, i then use the heatsink for a couple of minutes, I have it rigged to a Scorpion so that I do not have to hold it. I have found the works well for me.

Like Candyman I am still playing with different techniques to speed up and increase consistent quality in both repairs and sales, only in my case it is 25 years.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Defroster on low has work for me for a very long time . I use drystar everyday(30 seconds) and have had just a few to crackout in 5 years . Those probably had a underlining crack there that you could not see and probably would have run anyway. Don't make this hard because this is not rocket science !
screenman

Post by screenman »

The time to be really careful when drying is when there is a surface crack, we find we can make those run easier than anything else.

If this is not rocket science why are 90% of the repairs carried out total rubbish?
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Easy answer screen ! They don't care !
screenman

Post by screenman »

I would say more they do not know how to, none of the majors over here carry a dry out system, the largest are not allowed to use a drill at all. It is rocket science to those techs who have never been trained properly or even looked at the internet for advice.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

bill lambeth wrote:Easy answer screen ! They don't care !
And that is simply because of the conflict of interests.
Not happy with my repair? (thinking: I couldn't care less cause I will make money on your new windshield you dumb fool).

Not a cosher or healthy situation, the conflict of interests.
I have been in this trade for more than 18 years, and remained to be repair only.
Repairing windshields is not just an ordinairy job, it is a craft.
Noy for everyone. ;)
screenman

Post by screenman »

" Repairing windshields is not just an ordinairy job, it is a craft. "

I like that line.
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

I have had this happen to me. A easy repair gone bad. My conclusion is that the cause is the crack is in a stress area of the glass. Along with temps and pressure on the repair you are doomed for a failed repair.