Crack Repair 101

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Crack Repair 101

Post by GlassStarz »

Maybe we could get Screenman to walk us though different crack repair techniques. :D it's come to my attention recently that a lot of experienced techs don't really have a understanding of how to do them. Let's face it Graham has done a lot more than most of us.
screenman

Re: Crack Repair 101

Post by screenman »

G, I have done that many times, it seems at the moment though every time I put a post up I upset somebody. So maybe another day, they are not hard to do though once you recognise which ones to say no to.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I understand lol it's just that recently a couple folks have asked or made statements saying something doesn't work. If the 12 year olds could refrain from negative comments and just read someone's method and learn it would be nice. :twisted:
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

My method is pretty simple I first run my fingernail across it if it goes to the surface you feel the groove. I wipe the surface clean with a dry lint free towel. Drill the end making a small bull. Apply injector. I then run a small bead along the surface you can see it wick in sometimes you have to flex,a little. When filled I apply a long cure tab. Finish the injector apply tab. If it didn't fill while wicking I will drill along the crack in that area. If the crack wasn't to the surface I drilled it and treated it like a star. If the crack was a longer one I would have drilled a little from the end first before the end making it more stable. Cracks are pretty easy once you have done a few. Each one a little different so experience is a plus.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I agree that we all should know how but there is no money to be made in crack repair compared to chip repair. Takes to much time and resin.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

The people who call you for crack repairs are the same people who should have called you last week for chip repairs.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Although I push my customers to get all chips repaired and most do there is always the chance that a chip will run before you get to it, I do not want to say no and let somebody else say yes.

Another thought on this, the type of customers I have seldom call me.
screenman

Post by screenman »

bill lambeth wrote:I agree that we all should know how but there is no money to be made in crack repair compared to chip repair. Takes to much time and resin.
I agree some cracks can take a little longer than say a starbreak, but I make sure I charge a premium for long crack repair. Also using the method of wicking I find I use very little resin, I think if you run a long bead all the way along say a 8 inch crack then they may use it bit, I will try it and find out how much it does use and will let you all know.

Doing long crack repairs got me into and keeps me in the sort of customer that does not worry about spending $1,000 per month 12 months of the year, I seldom do single one off retail jobs.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I agree they are a last resort
screenman

Post by screenman »

For a bit of fun I just looked up how much the customer I do the most long cracks for has spent with me, £122,896 or about $200,000 in the last 15 years, I was doing work for them for 10 years before that date, so my guess at $1000 per months was near enough. Now I wonder what the wife has done with all that money, must be tucked away somewhere.