VIN

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bill lambeth

VIN

Post by bill lambeth »

Is anybody else having the problem with VIN # not matching up to what SGC has on file ? I am seeing more and more everyday ! I guess the agent enters the wrong number when issued. It has become a pain in the rear end !
Vikingfann
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: VIN

Post by Vikingfann »

I pull the vin from the customers insurance info card rather than directly from the vehicle specifically to avoid this problem.

Jere
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, SoCal
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

That is a great point ! I take pictures of all VINS but that makes more sense to avoid a bunch of phone calls and bothering the customer.
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

Taking a picture of the VIN is a great idea. Every now and then, I used to let customers fill in their personal data on the invoice while I start working and they sometimes took the liberty of filling in the VIN. Two problems: I either can't read their writing or occasionally they miss a digit. Then I have to call them back after the VIN doesn't match, which nobody likes to do. I now get the number directly from the insurance card and match it to the VIN plate, then I write it myself very neatly. I stopped letting customers write anything on the invoice a few months back and haven't had any issues since. I like HSG because they give you the first 11 digits on the dispatch, and you only have to give them back the last 6 digits. Much easier. Every now and then I don't have the choice of reading a VIN from the plate because it was covered by a replacement windshield. I'm not that familiar with replacement, but I would think that the VIN would be required to still be visible after a replacement?
Thanks!
-Marty
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Most VINs are inside on the drivers door and that where I take my picture. Usually to much glare off the windshield to take a picture. SGC gives you none of the VIN! The good thing about SGC is the only thing I need is VIN and signature on invoice.
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

If you have a smart phone there are a number of apps that will scan and store the VIN number for you.

Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Korey that app is the bomb ! Just used it on 2 cars !
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Good to hear it worked out for you. The goal is to work smart not hard ;)
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

VikingFan! Get this ! Card only had 16 digits on it ! I copied from vehicle and card! We'll of course SGC web would not take it! I did not pay ant attention to the card until I got to the office the next day!