Combo with one runner???

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Combo with one runner???

Post by h2oman »

Ok folks, can I get your opinion on this one? In what sequence do you make a repair for the following: Your combination chip is right at 1" diameter, located in 6" from the top of the windshield itself and has a 3" runner (crack) running straight down. Share with me your thoughts please?
EMCAutoGlass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Combo with one runner???

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

My recommendation would be to drill/tap a bull's-eye at the tip of the 3" leg first, put your injector on, and fill it back to the break, but stop just short of the resin reaching the break. Cure it. Putting a piece of electrical tape over the break will keep it from curing any resin that might have gotten into the break. Next, repair the combo as you normally would. I generally drill/tap legs longer than 2", especially if the leg has surfaced, which they usually do after 2". You can run the corner of a razor blade over the leg and if you feel/hear it click, you know it's surfaced. If you don't fill this first, it will be difficult to get a good vacuum/pressure when you're on the pit. Plus, you've terminated the crack so it won't run on you when you put your injector on.
Good luck.
-Marty
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

I would tell them to get a new windshield.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I would go with EMC on any large commercial vehicle, on a car or SUV I would check out where the damage is an access from there.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I would run my finger nail across the top if you feel it catch it goes to the surface. if no it's internal. The internal I would start at the chip and hope with enough time and cycles it should go to the end. The surface I go to the end drill and fulltime address the chip.