Saab HLR issue unclear???

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Saab HLR issue unclear???

Post by h2oman »

Two days ago I came across a new account (a small car lot) and after explaining I offered WR and HLR, the owner ask me if I could do his Saab out front for he has always had problems in the past with the headlights on other Saab's. I looked at it and found it to be a polycarbonate type and somewhat stained and I told him yes. I went through all the steps and after completion I notice the lenses where a little milky (more than any others I have done). I told the guy it was the humidity and to let it dry overnight an I will come back. I called Kory and explained everything to him in detail and he said you can't swish the 4.1 solution in the cup, you have to stir it. I went back and told the customer I was going to try to clear it up a little more for him. He said he was pleased now but if I wanted to try better to go right ahead. I started from scratch again and completed and it was a little more clearer but not like most of the others I have done. Here is my question? Is Saab polycarbonate made just a little different than polycarbonate here in the United States? If so, are there others to be aware of?
Thanks,
Chris
candyman

Re: Saab HLR issue unclear???

Post by candyman »

I dont think the 4.1 is your problem: Every now and then you will have this. I did a seabring last year and i had the same sistuation. After it dried the lens was ok but not the high gloss shine I normally get. It was over 80 degres outside and humid. That also could have been a factor in my case.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Ive been burned by Saabs before. You have to look at them carefully. Many of them develop a while smokey appearance INSIDE the lens. Many times its both exterior and interior. I always explain this to the customer so they know what to expect. On dealer lots, I usually just pass on them.
Paul Weinstein
Dr.Chipster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Some GM cars will deteriorate on the inside too, leaving a white appearance. Inspect, Inspect, Inspect.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

Inspect and educate. I always use anology of a sunburn on skin.
We are removing top layers of damaged skin and reapplying a protective coating too reduce further damage.
Damage below surface cannot be undone.
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

The key is to check for interior damage before quoting. Apply a few drops of mineral spirits to a small spot on the headlight. This should temporarily fill in surface defects. If there is interior damage, you should be able to see it.