Scuffs

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
graham
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Scuffs

Post by graham »

Hi everyone

Got a little query here. Sometimes next to the main chip there is a small scuff/ding in the glass where the stone has bounced after causing the main damage.

I have tried just putting a little pit filler in the ding and curing tab etc, but it still doesnt really improve the appearance.

Should I give it a quick whizz with a round bur as if I was drilling to pop a bulls eye and then fill this drill hole? Havent tried it yet...just asking. I know it seems minor but when my customer looks at the main break when repaired, I'd like to have these other scuffs gone aswell. A neat round resin-filled drill hole might look neater than just pit filling a ragged ding?

Thanks.

Graham

PS Did a free repair for a charity prize I offered a few weeks ago and the lady was so pleased at the "vanished" damage she gave me a bottle of wine!! Cant get much better than that.
Any hangover cures??????
graham

screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Scuffs

Post by screenman »

I just clean them out with a round bur in the Dremel, then a small amount of Magnibond dropped in, maybe use a scribe to get this into the scuff, then wipe with a piece of cloth and pit fill.

As for hanger over, stand on your head with your left trouser leg rolled up for 15 minutes.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

If it's not deep enough to warrant repair, I explain to the customer that it's not at risk of spreading and is it purely cosmetic and that even if I touch it up a dull scar will remain. Often times a pit fill and polish will improve the appearance but not make it disappear completely. The other concern is that without deeper damage to help lock that pit resin in place, a pit fill of a scuff may eventually come out as the resin ages. The main thing is, explain to the customer what you are dealing with upfront and they will leave happy,
t4k

Post by t4k »

clearquest wrote:. The main thing is, explain to the customer what you are dealing with upfront and they will leave happy,
This is the key to all good business transactions....good communication!!
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

In my opinion, that communication with the customer may be the most important thing you can do in the wsr business. Wsr is not a cut and dried process, It is a process with many variables. There are many factors that can affect the final appearance of the completed repair. Varying types of damage. Varying severity of damage. Varying ages of damage. Various contaminents. Etc. As a technician it is important that you recognize these factors and explain them when necessary to your customer. If you take the time in advance to explain things to your customer they will appreciate it and they will view you as being knowledgeable about your profession. If you have told them upfront what they can expect, it will help you avoid an unhappy customer.
screenman

Post by screenman »

In four words, undersell and over deliver.