Glass Edge Fritting

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
toyntond
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Glass Edge Fritting

Post by toyntond »

When replacing a windshield of a street sweeper, the OEM glass had dot matrix fritting around the edge. That glass is no longer available, so is there a problem using glass with no fritting? IS that just for appearance, or is that for adhesion of the adhesive?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Glass Edge Fritting

Post by Brent Deines »

The frit band serves two purposes. 1) Blocks UV rays to keep the Urethane adhesive from deteriorating. 2) Purely cosmetic to Hide wires, moldings, etc.

Is the glass clear or solar green? Probably green. Solar green glass blocks about 70% of the UV rays and you have two layers of it in your windshield. The PVB between those two layers blocks even more UV so you do the math. There is almost no UV getting through a modern tinted windshield.

However, to adhere to industry standards and be 100% safe the simple solution is to use a black glass primer before applying your adhesive. I think all the adhesive suppliers sell it so use the same brand as the adhesive you use for best results. Here is one example of a black glass primer. http://www.dowautomotive.com/products/b ... 43520a.htm
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

excellent post ^^^. I would like to add to. Make sure to specifically use black "glass" primer and not regular black pinchweld primer on the glass.
Regular pinchweld primer will not etch bond to glass and will break loose over time. Several manufacturers pinchweld primer can be applied to glass to make black frit only after glass etching primer has been used first and at that do not glob it on. A thin even coat is all that is needed,to much and it cracks and chunk off.
schotz1

Post by schotz1 »

A black primer should serve well and should work, however my question to you is "is the glass safety glass". You said it was a street sweeper. The glass that you took out should have been either tempered or a laminate. I hope you don't plan on just putting plate glass in. Safety glass is more expensive but if someone is injured because you use plate glass you will be in a heap of trouble. Just sign over everything you own to the person injured.
gadoliniumhateful

Post by gadoliniumhateful »

Need solar roof top solar system equipment, But i don,t know the cost of those equipment. Any one can help me for that