Long cracks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jdn
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Long cracks

Post by jdn »

How much business is out there for long cracks? I would think most people would just have the windshield replaced if the crack got so long. And how much more (if any) do I need to charge for doing a long crack?
Windshield911

Re: Long cracks

Post by Windshield911 »

I do long cracks up to 24" and get a lot of business with it. I charge $20 more than a chip for crack under 12" and $30 more from over 12-24." Still a lot cheaper than replacing, quicker, and you don't lose original seal. UB is company I use, takes more practice than chip repair and it needs to be covered under garage, carport, etc. I usually never have a problem getting vehicle under cover for long crack. Chips are a lot easier to cover with sun shield than long crack is, so get it in a garage.

Again, those are my prices above a chip repair, not my actual prices.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Amen on all points Windshield911!

I personally find chip repair more lucrative than long crack repair due to the extra time involved and I personally would not be happy with a long crack, repaired or not, in my windshield so it has never been my primary focus. However, I've certainly done my share of long cracks, primarily for those who do not have comprehensive insurance on their vehicles.

I also think your service area is a determining factor in how successful you can be with long crack repair. In some areas people are very open to hearing about the benefits of repair over replacement but in other areas it seems like it is a very hard sell. If you are going to be good at long crack repair, practice, practice, practice!

Going back to my first statement, the location of the crack has a lot to do with whether or not I would be happy with a long crack repair on my own windshield. Near the bottom, top or sides and properly filled I would be okay with it. Anywhere close to the DPVA and I would not be happy with it no matter how well it was done. But that's just me.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Probably 95% of my business is chips. Chips are much quicker and you can do multiple w/s at the same time. That being said I still couldn't resist doing crack repairs. I started thinking how many cracks I was passing up on a weekly basis. Just like chip repairs you need to inform the customer the crack will not disappear, you will still have a "scar" in the w/s. Most will say they don't care as long as they don't have to replace the w/s. As Brent stated I would stay away from cracks in the DPVA. My advice would be to track how many repairable cracks your coming across, guess how many of those you think you could sell, and multiply by say $70-$75. Will that ADDITIONAL income be worth it for you? I would definitely recommend lots of practice and a little patience doesn't hurt. Feel free to PM me.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Ditto with Brent and Clarity glass about not doing it in DPVA. I don't do fleet accounts anymore as I don't have time for them but I didn't fool with long cracks on fleets since their shop areas were filled up with cars mechanics were working on and I couldn't get them covered but I've always done them for regular customers.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Windshield911, is a fleet not about the most regular customer you can get?

I also do not do long cracks in the Azone as we call it.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Screen

Honestly between 8-5 I'm staying busy with regular customers that I didn't have time to check my fleet accounts. After awhile I got tired of squeezing time in for them and all the dealerships or fleet networks in my area is small # of vehicles. I do get calls still from them but don't go out and inspect for chips anymore. I'll add I'm also a fireman so if I didn't do that I would go get fleet accounts but between regular customers and fire dept I need time for kids also.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Also Screen, when I did dealerships I wouldn't do long cracks for reasons stated earlier unless they knew for sure it was fresh crack. If I recall you do pretty much all fleets, in that situation I wouldn't do long cracks either, especially for dealerships when crack may have been there for years.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I didn't do many cracks for many dealerships either. Around here if a customer can see a crack after it has been repaired, even a little, they typically expect the windshield to be replaced, as would I if I was purchasing a car. I also didn't do many crack repairs for my fleet accounts, in part because I also replaced glass at a very reasonable price, and in part because I had my fleets trained to get the chips repaired right away so I didn't see all that many cracks. However I did repair cracks on some very expensive windshields in motor coaches that were tens of thousands of miles a year.

It's a numbers game to me. If a windshield can be replaced for $150 I'm not going to recommend a long crack repair for $100 (yes I charged more for cracks) but if it costs $1500 to replace the windshield it's not a hard sell at all, especially for fleets that are typically not insured for glass coverage.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Windshield911, your situation is different from mine, one of the many great things about this trade. Take for instance just one of my fleet customers who spend $1400 per month with me 12 months of the year, they take 8 hours per month to service, sometimes less and never more.

Long cracks on cheap screens is a no go for me.

All credit to you for being on the fire, my youngest does the same over here and we are very proud of him.