Cracks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jarosz
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Cracks

Post by jarosz »

What is the rule of thumb for cracks? I live in a very HOT and HUMID area. I'm nervous because I had a few cracks run on me.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Cracks

Post by t4k »

Have you searched the archives of this forum for your answers? Cracks have been discussed thousands of times.
salvatoreali

Post by salvatoreali »

Re: Long cracks.
I do many long cracks here in Houston Tx but it got very hot and humid past few days resulting in some problems getting a head of pressure out from injector site where I drill and tap with slide hammer.
Obviously hard to get good capillary action going without a starting point under a little pressure.I think on these super hot days I will pass on cracks, even in full shade like this was.Any comments?
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Are y'all talking about doing long cracks or a chip cracking out on you? Roll the windows down and make sure windshield is cool and it shouldn't be a problem.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Are you working in the shade or using a shield?
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

I prepare my customers during our hot SoCal weather to park their vehicle in shade prior to my arrival or at least park away from the sun direction and cover the windshield with a towel or blanket to keep the temperature down. One rock chip that becomes a long crack while you are repairing it will convince you of the need and benefit of having the windshield temperature in the normal range. My long crack repair method is different from the traditional method and it can be done in sunshine if necessary but I try to avoid it.

Jere - owner/operator
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, SoCal
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

t4k wrote:Have you searched the archives of this forum for your answers? Cracks have been discussed thousands of times.
What is the point in having a forum , if you cannot ask questions of fellow members?
Certainly, crack questions have been asked before, but if all the questions have been answered before, you could just print a book, and direct people to read the book and not bother forum members by asking questions.
But then it wouldn't be a forum; would it ?
t4k

Post by t4k »

Mr Bill wrote:
t4k wrote:Have you searched the archives of this forum for your answers? Cracks have been discussed thousands of times.
What is the point in having a forum , if you cannot ask questions of fellow members?
Certainly, crack questions have been asked before, but if all the questions have been answered before, you could just print a book, and direct people to read the book and not bother forum members by asking questions.
But then it wouldn't be a forum; would it ?
I see your point Mr. Bill but let me ask you a question. What is the purpose of the archives on this forum?

Is it to look up subjects that have been discussed in depth at a previous date? All the information that is stored on this forum is there so people can look up topics that have been discussed before. Looking up information on your own is a great learning tool because it forces you to read a lot of info to find the answer to your question. Subsequently, you learn answers to questions you didn't even know you had yet.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to get people to do a little research and they will be amazed at the information that is out there when they put forth a bit of effort.

I am in the process of learning a new business model totally unrelated to this field. I spend hours every evening searching for my answers and you would totally amazed at the information I have learned by doing my own homework. There are a few forums that are related to this field but I have yet to ask a question because, so far I have found all of my answers and I have learned so much by searching for hours on end.

With all of that being said, what is your general rule of thumb on cracks?
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I have repaired cracks and had them crack out further after several weeks . I have done others which are still good a year later.
A stone hit my windshield, below the wipers and 20 minutes later I had a 6 inch crack. I repaired it promptly, it disappeared visually, but three days later, it made a 90 degree turn and continued for another 5 inches.
I feel that if I do cracks, I cannot guarantee that they will stay repaired, so I do not offer crack repair.
Chip repairs is all that I do, because I can be 99% certain that a year later, they will still be intact.
brent

Post by brent »

Bill, are you saying that there is not way to stop the crack from travelling? Even with the drilling or creating a bulleye at the end of the crack?

I was thinking to offer lifetime warranty on the chip and crack repair but after seeing your post, it might not be a good idea.
Another newbie