Shop Towel Substitute?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
NFL305
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Shop Towel Substitute?

Post by NFL305 »

wow!!! 30 bucks per vehicle?!?!? I'm also new to Headlight Restoration- I charged a fleet 75 dollars per headlight- I didn't suggest the price either I was looking to go in at 40 per light -but I asked the fleet manager what she was paying- she said 75 per and she had to deliver her trucks to a local body shop- I suggested I'd match that price, go to her lot and guarantee no yellowing for 2 years. Im up in New York so prices are higher up here
salvatoreali

Post by salvatoreali »

Try the foam makeup applicators.Use the white wedges.
I think 25 or 50 in a package. $1 at Dollartree or any other dollar store.
Develop a technique and don't linger.Work it fast with small overlap and results are excellent.
mrchips1952

Post by mrchips1952 »

I watch for specials at Home Depot and Princess Auto (our Canadian equivalent to Harbor Tools) and when they put Shop towel rolls on for $2.99 per roll, I buy a dozen or more rolls. I love the idea of the makeup applicator wedges, and my wife assures me there is never a shortage of them at pennies each. I do a lot of fleet work, Trucking companies that have to pass safety inspections annually, service company fleets that are conscious of customer images etc.
The Turtle wax or Maguir's kits sell for the $39.99 area here, then the client has to invest a couple of hours of his own time, only to get mediocre results at best. Without the UV protective coating the job will need repeating in a few months.
I encourage clients to get more than one vehicle to the location that I am going to do the refurbishment. I offer them a multi-vehicle discount. A single vehicle is charged $80.00 per set, except the Volvo semis with the large vertical headlamps. I charge them $100.00 per set. If there are two or more vehicles to be done the same day at the same location, I discount each one to $65.00 each vehicle or $75.00 each if they are the Volvos. I have researched the market for the costs of new replacement housings and compare the costs of new housing, installation time at dealer shop rates, costs of shop supplies and applicable taxes. When compared with my charges, clients think i'm quite reasonable.
Let us improve your driving outlook!
mrchips1952