TO DRILL A CHIP FOR A REPAIR

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
clearquest
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: TO DRILL A CHIP FOR A REPAIR

Post by clearquest »

No time table for patience. If I cant get part of a damage to fill by using various tecniques (rare), I dont think that drilling into wet uncured resin at the impact point is the answer. I have had to create a new entry point by drilling (rare) to get resin into an unfilled area, but thats different than drilling into wet resin in the original impact area. Can't be anything good about having resin clouded with glass fragments going into a repair. Just my opinion.
cracksout

Post by cracksout »

I have been practicing not drilling and today I did one that was fantastic.
When would you drill and not drill if not is your preferred method?
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

clearquest wrote: I dont think that drilling into wet uncured resin at the impact point is the answer. I have had to create a new entry point by drilling (rare) to get resin into an unfilled area, but thats different than drilling into wet resin in the original impact area. Can't be anything good about having resin clouded with glass fragments going into a repair. Just my opinion.
Until you actually try it, you are just theorizing.
The pit hole is already there, you are just drilling sideways into it for short distance to open it up, and if you use a skinny drill,( FG329 : 0.024 inch dia ) the hole is quite small.
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

Mr. Bill: do you have any issues getting a thick pit resin into such a small drill hole? Any issues trapping air in the hole? I use a larger drill bit, and sometimes place a needle in the hole when I drop the pit resin. It seems to help the resin flow into the hole as I pull the needle out, also eliminating air in the hole.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I do that too.
Great minds think alike.
screenman

Post by screenman »

The angle that you drill at can also cause air bubble, drill down not up.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

I clean my customers windows and side mirrors for the same reason I vacuum and clean out the car after a replacement.
Its also the same reason why I wash my vehicle a few times a week, always clean company clothes, freshly shaven, best quality business cards, stationary and vehicle graphics and a genuine thank you attitude.
Its PRIDE in MY company and MY work and customers NOTICE when its done. They are more than happy to refer you because you go the extra mile in caring for their vehicle and they gladly pay for that level of professionalism. You keep customers for life that way.
They may not say anything when you don't clean the windows but they wont be WOWed and remember you for next time, but they will remember me.
screenman

Post by screenman »

We have a guy over here that does that, he does though, not use a dry out system or a UV shield.