Cracks

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
clearquest
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Cracks

Post by clearquest »

I don't offer warranty coverage on cracks beyond 10" and I don't repair cracks that extend to the bottom edge of the windshield. I explain that to the customer upfront. Cracks to the top edge or side edge seem to be more manageable. just my opinion.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

brent wrote:Bill, are you saying that there is not way to stop the crack from travelling? Even with the drilling or creating a bulleye at the end of the crack?

I was thinking to offer lifetime warranty on the chip and crack repair but after seeing your post, it might not be a good idea.
I offer lifetime on chip repairs and 2 year on long cracks. After this year I will go to a 3 year warranty.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Lifetime on everything for 27 years.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Brent Deines wrote:Lifetime on everything for 27 years.

Brent, would explain what you mean by "lifetime warranty". I have given a warranty on everything for 23 years for as long as they own the vehicle. Do you offer more than that?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That is exactly what I do.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I also offer the same as Brent and have done so for over 26 years, I think I have given money back on 2 occasions.
ifixthem247

Post by ifixthem247 »

Hi. Best purchase a Temp Gun to check that Windshield Temp. Get it into the shade, and run the AC to cool it down before drilling and tapping a Bullseye. If you attempt this on a too hot shield it can run on you. Rule of Thumb. If you can hold your hand on the shield without having to pull away, you may be ok. I like to have the shield around 85 degrees to be safe. Cold is better when it comes to Crack repairs. I have had my share of Cracks run in hot weather. Some of the Generic Glass is worse for this i think.

They call me " Big Crack ". I fix all long Cracks. Lifetime warranty. Yes i get a few re-do's with our weather here in the northeast. Bottom origin Cracks can be troublesome. The weather is my worst enemy. :)

Thanks and good luck.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

They call you "big crack" huh? Oooooookay umm welcome.
brctom1

Post by brctom1 »

My 2 cents worth on cooling the windshield. If you have the temp dial to the cold position and select defrost setting the cold air will be diverted to the defrost vents and cool the w shield much faster than the standard dashboard vents.
MichaelSmedley

Post by MichaelSmedley »

We too underpin our work with a lifetime warranty. However, we also install windscreens as well. The deal is if the windscreen chip spreads we subtract the price of the chip off a replacement windscreen, therefor making the chip free. Alternatively we refund.

Perhaps other repairers could share with us how do you offer a lifetime warranty if you do not install windscreens? For example, lets say you are repairing a Mercedes ML windscreen. In Australia these retail for about $1800 for the OE product, then your time to install it, or contract it out. You would be doing a awful lot of windscreen chips for free if the chip went wrong.

We fully explain this before we perform any work. To date we have had only one problem and as luck would have it, it was on an exotic vehicle. The customer wanted a free replacement as he accused us of breaking his windscreen. However, this is not the case as we fully explain. The windscreen is already broken we are here to attempt to fix it.

Making a bet with a customer to fix their windscreen for $70 vs the risk of you loosing $2000+ is a silly bet to take in my opinion, even if your success rate is 99.9%.

Just like a surgeon, we take the greatest of care but no responsibility. But unlike a surgeon, we have a no fix, no charge policy.
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens