New Glue

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
J.T.Window
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

New Glue

Post by J.T.Window »

A customer got out his 'Bondic' kit after seeing how I was curing his chip repair. The kit is $22 and comes with 4 gm's of resin and a mini UV light. He had repaired a frayed laptop usb cord and the repair looked pretty solid. The company has a lot of videos showing repairs on different materials. Sort of a plastic welding operation. Guess I'm a glue nerd. I think I'll get a kit for when a customer wants me to fix his glasses or a tail light lens.
Brent Deines

Re: New Glue

Post by Brent Deines »

I'm kind of a glue nerd too so I had to try this stuff. I repaired a computer cord that the cat got hold of and a couple of plastic parts that super glue was not working on. It cures extremely fast and is easy to use but because it is a UV cure I don't have any confidence...yet...in bonding two parts together without leaving some glue on the outside. If it is also an anaerobic adhesive (cures with lack of air) as most windshield repair resins are, it may cure fine without the UV light but I have not tested that to be sure yet. So it's not the cleanest application for appearance if applied to the outside only but so far it seems to be holding up well. Expensive but worth it for the parts I used it on as they would have cost more to replace when all are added together.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Well ! If you're a glue nerd have you used Zip Kicker with CA glues? Makes it cure in just a few seconds !
screenman

Post by screenman »

Or even a bit of saliva with the CA glues, of course adding baking soda to CA gel makes a great filler, not for car bodywork though. Running out of activator 20 years ago when doing trim repairs makes you try anything to get the job done.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

sunshine wr wrote:Well ! If you're a glue nerd have you used Zip Kicker with CA glues? Makes it cure in just a few seconds !
Can't say that I have but I see it gets rave reviews. The CA that we use is nearly an instant bond as it is so I've found no need to speed up the cure.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Brent Deines wrote:
sunshine wr wrote:Well ! If you're a glue nerd have you used Zip Kicker with CA glues? Makes it cure in just a few seconds !
Can't say that I have but I see it gets rave reviews. The CA that we use is nearly an instant bond as it is so I've found no need to speed up the cure.
what brand ca do you use ?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Is the activator new over there, I first used it in about 1992
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

screenman wrote:Is the activator new over there, I first used it in about 1992
No. Been around awhile.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

sunshine wr wrote:
Brent Deines wrote:
what brand ca do you use ?
Miracle Glue. Seems to work better than the others I've tried for most things but there are still a few plastics that it won't hold on. That's where the Bondic came in for me.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Okay I have some bad news to report. I've now used Bondic on a half dozen projects and as of yesterday every single one of them has failed. It did seem to hold temporarily but not for more than a couple of months in the best cases and a few days in other cases. I still have some left so I may try it on a more things but now that I have lost confidence in it I'll likely try other things first. The concept is great but the end result is all that really matters. Bummer, it definitely had the cool factor going for it!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.