What's the average time to restore a set of headlights?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Aussie lights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What's the average time to restore a set of headlights?

Post by Aussie lights »

Just wondering what's the average time other technicians take to restore headlights ?
Also with headlights with minor marks on the headlights is there an easier way then going back to 320 grit each time.
Is there anyone else from Australia on the forum
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What's the average time to restore a set of headlights?

Post by Brent Deines »

We spend between 30 & 60 minutes depending on the level of difficulty.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

With following all the steps from masking to sanding applying infinity usually with 2 coats it's about 80-90 min job.
I'm charging only A$66 trade A$88 public
screenman

Post by screenman »

45 minutes and I charge £60 a pair, there are cheaper guys about but none are very busy.
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

I just started HLR fulltime and I have noticed that it does take longer than I expected. I am sure as I get the feel of it better and lots more practice that the time will trim down a good bit. I am very pleased with Delta and I plan on using these supplies as long as I can. I have many people and a few dealers and they all understand that I am new and it will take me a little longer until I get better at HLR. They have all been very supportive so far.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

As your skills improve you can shave some time off but to get the best results and protect the car properly takes some time to be sure. Although we never expect it to take us more than an hour we always leave ourselves a buffer. Those using Infinity 4.1 can speed up the dry time by using fans but we always try to leave as much time as possible for the coating to dry thoroughly before releasing the car into the customer's care. It takes about 24 hours for Infinity to fully cure and longer for Coat2Protect and most other coatings. Going through a car wash or driving on a gravel road before the coating is fully cured may affect the performance of the coating...any coating.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Depending on the vehicle (passenger car) Im at 30 - 45 minutes. A tougher one may be listed a a HL that has OEM clear which is difficult to remove like a Volvo XC90. For the newbie, 60 minutes should the be the norm until you gain experience.

But this also includes having all the tools and sanding discs easily accessible to make a quick change. In other words, you've streamlined your process and are efficient.
Paul Weinstein
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

Thanks Brent. I had a very productive day yesterday and I am getting a better feel for getting the lenses thru the sanding process and results are really good. Now if I can get the weather to cooperate. 4 days of rain and one day off and on rain. Been tough getting much done that way. I have one dealership that will let me work in their shop but the didn't have much work this week.
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

Old Blue 66 I have only had one real problem and that was a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe with tips sticking out on the Headlights. Also had a Dodge Ram with an old restoration coming off and it was extremely time consuming for me at first but I got the hang of it. Any advice on the older Tahoes and such will be appreciated.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

As mush as some would not like to hear this, there are vehicles that Ill pass on. They are just too time consuming. Most Chevy trucks are tough to do and we dont see many here in the upper midwest they need help. Ive done two in the last three years. Same goes for Ford trucks. If you see those more often, you must be in a different climate like out west.

Take a look at the pinned thread here "Tougher than normal HL's". While I dont agree with all of them, some are just a nightmare.
Paul Weinstein