Employee theft and TIPS!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Texasguy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Employee theft and TIPS!

Post by Texasguy »

So a company I see around with tent sites , uses video cameras to monitor their employees . The employee I talked to said that he's got to set up the camera box each morning and put SD cards in the camera . It's a metal box with a hole cut out on one side with a clear plastic piece put over the cut out hole for a view for the camera with the camera set up inside and a car battery inside as well , hooked up to the camera to keep it charged all day . It's set up on a stand about 40 ft away from the tent , and the employee must record themselves working all day everyday . It is meant to keep employees from making side deals for cash . Does anyone with multiple employees use any method to try to prevent theft ??? I would think there would be a cheaper , more efficient way of managing employee theft .

Does anyone ever get tipped ?? I know that most of you are probably owners and don't need tips , just like I won't when I get started . But I will admit , when I worked for someone else , I ASKED for tips , lol ... Especially from customers that used insurance and had no out of pocket exspense. I know it sounds crazy , and most employers wouldn't like to hear that , but I figured that since it was free to the customer , they wouldn't mind giving a few extra bucks for good service . Don't get me wrong , I was very professional about it and pretty much just let the customer know that we are allowed to accept tips , lol . I would usually drop my line after the repair was completed almost (curing) and I knew the repair was going to come out great , while finishing up the paperwork . It went something like this ... (Handing the customer their copy of the receipt with the price on it that their insurance company was going to pay us and our 2 year warranty on the bottom ) I would say ,"okay , here's your copy , don't mind that $60 in there , that is what your insurance company is paying my company to do the repair , and the 2 year warranty I told you about is on the bottom there . (Point out the warrantee) if anything happens , just bring your car back with this receipt , and we will take care of it for free . Ofcourse if you like my work , any gratuity is greatly appreciated , but definetley not necessary . "
It's pretty hard not to give a tip , especially when told right to your face that you are allowed to accept them .
Then allow 5 more min , for the repair to finish curing and for the customer to get a tip together , clean up the glass , show off the great repair , receive tip , say goodbye!

Ofcourse I would receive tips occasionally , but when I used this strategy , I received a tip 95% of every repair . I made a good amount of $ in tips when working as an employee , on average 20$-40$ / day , on a great day $75-$100 . But I never stole $ or stole jobs from my employer .
I knew that we were allowed to except tips , but didn't know if the owners of my company would like knowing that I was soliciting for a tip , so I never asked if I could or told them , lol . They never found out I don't think .
For good or for worse , I'm just sharing some of the things that I've seen go down in the field for those of you who only manage employees working in the field . Lol

Anybody care to respond :-/ ?

Thanks !
Texasguy
ExpressWR

Re: Employee theft and TIPS!

Post by ExpressWR »

I've worked in the hospitality industry (bar tending) at some of the better places in my city. I'm still bar tending part-time while I have my windshield repair company. I never make less than $30 an hour at the bar mostly in tips alone, often more than that. That being said, I'm about to have 8 employees set up across the city and surrounding area. I'm urging all of them to have a tip jar with a nice message such as 'gratuities much appreciated'. The customer isn't paying a dime 99.9% of the time here, psychologically people are extremely open to tipping. I know that if someone would've fixed my windshield (before i got into the field of course) I would give them a $20 bill after them telling me its free.

Preventing theft, like I said before, 99.9% of the jobs that will be completed are all done through insurance. If i get maybe one cash job a week throughout all 8 locations I'll be surprised. I would never pay anything to try and find out if employees are stealing from me. If they do, that's really unfortunate and maybe I should have done a better job hiring people, however, if it makes them feel like they're getting a $50 bonus once every two months and that makes them happy, financially it won't be hurting me at all.
Texasguy

Post by Texasguy »

That's true , most of your sales will be through insurance , but I think you might be surprised at the amount of cash jobs you do get . A lot of folks , even if they do have full coverage , might feel it's easier to just pay cash and not go through the whole claim process , because I doubt any of your employees will be as good as you at explaining the insurance process and make the customers . Plus , maybe the employee will decide that once a day , it will be worth the risk to persuade a customer that the insurance claim process is a hassle , and that a cash deal would be much easier for them .... Boom , there goes 60$ everyday . Next thing you know , you got multiple employees doing this . This is a tough situation , Bc I'm a trusting person , and don't think people will steal from me , and if they do , I think like you I think , "who cares , it's 50$ , nothing compared to what I'm making " ... I think all would be fine and well , IF you just have 1 or 2 tents .... But if you have 8 , or 25 like the company I talked about earlier , it could mean big money lost , hence the reason why that company goes through so much trouble and exspense to combat the problem . Myself personally though , I think there's a lower cost , easier , more efficient way of controlling the problem ... Just not sure what it is yet , and don't have to worry about it yet seeing how this year will just me and me alone at one tent . Maybe fake cameras that look like real live-feed cameras ? Idk ... Maybe have each technician call in each cash job to have it approved ? Maybe use invoice numbers and question any missing invoice sheets ? Are you using invoice sheets that are numbered and have a carbon copy ? Also maybe if you paid good commission , instead of hourly , it would make less sense for the employee to do a side job . Also , who is going to manage all of your locations ? Are you going to have a central office location where you keep all equipment , or maybe have a few different storage units ? And are you going to manage all locations on your own , or hire someone to do all that ? (Training, watching/helping employees , assisting where need be ) .... I'm rambling now , just interested in your plan , and maybe some of these ideas will help you , ha .

Texasguy
Texasguy

Post by Texasguy »

Texasguy wrote:That's true , most of your sales will be through insurance , but I think you might be surprised at the amount of cash jobs you do get . A lot of folks , even if they do have full coverage , might feel it's easier to just pay cash and not go through the whole claim process , because I doubt any of your employees will be as good as you at explaining the insurance process and make the customers feel comfortable . Plus , maybe the employee will decide that once a day , it will be worth the risk to persuade a customer that the insurance claim process is a hassle , and that a cash deal would be much easier for them .... Boom , there goes 60$ everyday . Next thing you know , you got multiple employees doing this . This is a tough situation , Bc I'm a trusting person , and don't think people will steal from me , and if they do , I think like you I think , "who cares , it's 50$ , nothing compared to what I'm making " ... I think all would be fine and well , IF you just have 1 or 2 tents .... But if you have 8 , or 25 like the company I talked about earlier , it could mean big money lost , hence the reason why that company goes through so much trouble and exspense to combat the problem . Myself personally though , I think there's a lower cost , easier , more efficient way of controlling the problem ... Just not sure what it is yet , and don't have to worry about it yet seeing how this year will just me and me alone at one tent . Maybe fake cameras that look like real live-feed cameras ? Idk ... Maybe have each technician call in each cash job to have it approved ? Maybe use invoice numbers and question any missing invoice sheets ? Are you using invoice sheets that are numbered and have a carbon copy ? Also maybe if you paid good commission , instead of hourly , it would make less sense for the employee to do a side job . Also , who is going to manage all of your locations ? Are you going to have a central office location where you keep all equipment , or maybe have a few different storage units ? And are you going to manage all locations on your own , or hire someone to do all that ? (Training, watching/helping employees , assisting where need be ) .... I'm rambling now , just interested in your plan , and maybe some of these ideas will help you , ha .

Texasguy
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I am a business owner and I get tips most times I do retail jobs which is seldom, but I would never ask for them.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I never ask for tips. It should be an emotional gesture by the customer. I have yet to see a free WSR. That customer paid for that insurance coverage and should not be expected to pay extra for a job you were paid to perform, in the form of a Tip. That puts a black eye on this business, and a bad taste in the mouth of the person that was fleeced. I attend Chamber of Commerce meetings and this is a major concern with glass shops and WSR technicians that are building a long term business within the community. We pay our taxes, obtain license to operate legally and strive for customer satisfaction. My customers are not numbers for the day or a weekly quota. Do you tip the cashier at the grocery or movie theater. No, would be most of your answers. I may have stepped on some toes, but that's what you do based on the comments on this post. Fly by nights come and go. I may be missing the get rich quick dollars, but I sleep nights and my customers know who I am. The quality of my work and family values matter to me and the merchants that are the fabric of this community and many others.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Two years ago I was giben an engraved clock thanking me for 25 years of service by one of my customers, does that count as a tip?
candyman

Post by candyman »

I would consider that gratitude for a job well done, and appreciated by that customer, Screenman. I just don't like soliciting for it. I did a repair today for a customer that had been done by someone roaming the local parking lots. It looked like they used pit resin only and failed to cure it properly,
candyman

Post by candyman »

I would consider that gratitude for a job well done, and appreciated by that customer, Screenman. I just don't like soliciting for it. I did a repair today for a customer that had been done by someone roaming the local parking lots. It looked like they used pit resin only and failed to cure it properly, The customer said the guy only charged $25 and asked for a tip, to help buy his baby some milk. Normally, I would not have attempted to do that repair. I charged the man , Zero and told him to have a nice day.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

screenman wrote:Two years ago I was giben an engraved clock thanking me for 25 years of service by one of my customers, does that count as a tip?
:lol: Little different when a customer gives you something out of appreciation that you didn't ask for. Asking customers for a tip or suggesting they tip is a huge no no though. I know you know that, just saying for other guys who might be reading this getting into the industry.