Calling all UK repair guys

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
screenmedic
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Calling all UK repair guys

Post by screenmedic »

I have been trading for a while now and 90% of the jobs that i do are for 2nd hand car dealers. I hear alot of talk about fleet companies being the way to go, my question is where do i start ? I am sorry if this question has been asked before but i really want to move my business forward.

Thanks in advance Mark.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Calling all UK repair guys

Post by screenman »

Hi Mark, I will post more when I get a bit more time, but the answer basically is you have to go calling and of course be top of your game. If you have a tool sales van in your area get to know them as they are magical at finding the fleets.

Out of interest what kit are you using?
screenmedic

Post by screenmedic »

Thanks for the reply, i am using the delta kits repair kit and I have x2 B250 bridges. I know you have been in this game along time, I really would appreciate as much help as you can give me.

Cheers Mark
screenman

Post by screenman »

Where abouts are you Mark, have we met? did you buy the kit off of me.

Right the first thing I did was build a list of the companies I knew within a 5 mile radius who were likely to have a few or more company vehicles, now if you live in these parts the list was very short.

Now call on all them customers, for many months I would not let myself come home from work without calling on at least 2 new customers a day, this along with calling on at least 2 customers who I had visited before. Tedious and sole destroying, not at all challenging yes.

my best call took 17 visits before I got my first job, they then went on to spend at least £1300 a month for 17 years. My biggest mistake, driving past a local sewage works for 20 years think they only had a couple of trucks, they actually maintained 450 on site. I had a good run with that one for sure.

As I have said before find the tools sales guys, Snap-on type thing, those guys know where the workshops are and workshops sometimes means fleets.

Never stop selling, and have you started on that list yet. The hardest customer to get is often the easiest to keep.

Be the best and not the cheapest.
screenmedic

Post by screenmedic »

Thanks for the advice screenman.

I work around the Wolverhampton area and the delta repair kit that I use was purchased from a guy in Leeds who was retiring.

I have taken onboard everything you have told me as I really want this business to succeed, the big problem I find is being given that chance to show what I can do, every garage that I do work for have always returned with more jobs for me.

Thanks Mark
screenman

Post by screenman »

You have great area there, so many truck and bus places it is a gold mine. Give me a call if I can be of any help, Delta will give you my number if you need it.
screenmedic

Post by screenmedic »

Hi Screenman,
You say that cheapest is not always the best, what do you think is a fair price is for a standard chip repair ?

Many thanks again
screenman

Post by screenman »

Somehow I missed replying to this, my prices start at £40 for high volume customers and go up to £60 for low volume one's. I very seldom do one repair per visit and it will normally be in the 3 or 4 repairs per call. I have no interest in insurance work or driving around for one job per customer, any private customers must come to me or the job does not get repaired by me. Sounds harsh I know but for nigh on 30 years I have stayed very busy, so I must be lucky, or something.