Vacuum pump style repair system

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jdn
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Vacuum pump style repair system

Post by jdn »

Anybody have experience using the electric pump style repair system. I saw a few videos on line. Was just wondering how they compare to the hand operated bridge that most of us use.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Vacuum pump style repair system

Post by screenman »

Yes I have tried them and could easily afford to buy them, would I? no I would not. Using compressed air to move a liquid is not a good idea in my opinion, in fact I cannot think of anywhere else an engineer would use that scenario. I find that I like to be able to input skill into my repairs and like the finite control the tools I use allow.

I also find them bulky and cumberson, which is something we do not need in our trade, keeping things simple and light is the best way to work in our trade.
Jtmac

Post by Jtmac »

I've used a GT vp 5000 for about 20 years and my repairs are better than any in my area. I've considered getting a delta bridge and injector just to have an extra and see the difference. If anyone has experience with comparisons, I would be very interested to see them. I see the definite advantage of bulkiness, and not needing a power source, but then again I use my power source on my machine for operations that I would need to get otherwise if using a hand operated injector. It's very convenient to plug in my daystar, lamp or other accessories right there on the hood.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I have trained people on the use of the vp5000 I would not buy one, using compressed air to mover a liquid makes no sense to me, I suggest that your skills have more to do with the quality of your repairs than your kit does.
Jtmac

Post by Jtmac »

Screenman ...do you see any advantages to an injector that uses a screw versus pushing the piston up and down or vice versa? aka ultra bond vs Delta.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I find a screw injector more accurately controllable, just my humble opinion of course as I have done thousands of good repairs using the Delta spring loaded one.