Best way to stop a crack

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
scratchy

Re: Best way to stop a crack

Post by scratchy »

I mark off the end of the crack with the drill, just a bit though. I then go back and fill the crack by wicking. I then harden it up. I make the end bulls eye and fill it along with the remaining inch that didn't fill because it was too tight. With this technique I almost never have a crack keep trying to move while popping the bulls eye... very safe and they look great too.
burnman

Post by burnman »

The company I trained with did not instruct how to pop mini bulls. How far into the glass do you drill. What is the best tool to use for poping the bull.
Dependable Dave

Post by Dependable Dave »

burnman, see post number 2 down below for instructions on hole depth and so on. Good luck!
burnman

Post by burnman »

Thanks Dave. I'll do some practice before moving further. What type of drill bit do you use for cracks?
burtonmc

Post by burtonmc »

First of all u push on the inside of the windshield to make sure the crack is at a stopping point.....then you drill a hole bout a 1/16 of in. past the end of the crack. i drill slowly and then just use my drill to make the mini bullseye....then push on the inside again and run it into the mini bullseye...it should make a clicking sound.....then a drill another mini bullseye next to the other one. just in case in goes through the first one......works great for me...i may have one fail maybe once every 8 to 10 months. but i just repair it where it spreads from the last bullseye.
Shepard

Post by Shepard »

I purchased my business and was trained by a 23-yr repair veteran. I watched him do long crack repairs in which the crack seemed to disappear and they seemed to last forever. His technique was to run a 5-inch bead of med-resin over the crack, then put a piece of curing film over it, then another bead.... He would then use a Bic lighter to heat the windshield from the inside and would use his knuckle to put pressure on the crack from the inside. When the glass cooled and the glass retracted (from its heated expansion) the resin flowed into the crack... aided by his knuckle pressure.

He would remove air bubbles by putting an injector (sans the bridge) over the bubbles and would twist-suction the injector. After doing this a few times... all the air bubbles were out and the window looked great.

I have read about and practiced sliding the bridge and injector along the crack.... but have had about as much success as with my trainer's method. I am sure a 10-year veteran of either method can do a great job.. and yes, I know that that resin is better than this resin...etc... but why do newbies like me (3,000 chips) have trouble filling cracks? More tips from you old timers? :)
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Mr Bill »

quoted by Shepard:
"His technique was to run a 5-inch bead of med-resin over the crack, then put a piece of curing film over it, then another bead.... "
When you say " Then another bead" do you mean on the next five inches after the first 5 inches have been filled?
IRONSIDE
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by IRONSIDE »

burnman wrote:Since I've only been in the business a few weeks I have not had much chance to practice this, but I've had problems stopping cracks. As I was trained, I drill about 1/16th past the end of the crack to the pvb and then try to run the crack into the hole. My problem is that a couple of times, the crack runs right past the hole and keeps going.

What is the best way to stop a crack? Should I use a larger bit?
I know it's been a long time since this post, but I am struggling with this same problem with my practice glass. Every time I try to stop to crack with a bull's-eye the crack either goes right through the bull or around it. I have tried drilling at different distance in front of crack, using different tools to make the bull's-eye and it always happens. Could it be because the glass is on a stand?
Any help would be appreciated.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Yes that could well be the reason, the glass is far more stable when glued into the vehicle. Have you tried Delta's automatic slide hammer?
IRONSIDE
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by IRONSIDE »

No Screenman I have not tried that. Making bullseye isnt the problem, at least i don't think it would be. I put pressure on crack to determine if it goes further than it appears, i drill a hole about an 1/8" in front of crack, pop a bullseye. That's where it goes bad. The crack will either go right through the bullseye or around it. It happens every time. Ive tried like 20 times with the same outcome.
I'm gonna try standing the glass upright tonight to see if that helps ,but am not very optimistic.