drill every point of a star break?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
manocao
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

drill every point of a star break?

Post by manocao »

hi, i had this star in my windshield
star.jpg
star.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 203 times
once repaired it looks like this, it's a 5 point star
repaired.jpg
repaired.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 203 times
but because of severe changes of temperature and pressure due to driving mountains up and down, i see cracks are spreading and i guess they won't stop and will get worse, now it is 1 inch diameter
do you think i could drill every 5 point of the star to stop spreading? something like this,
drill.jpg
drill.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 203 times
thanks 4 answers!
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: drill every point of a star break?

Post by ghost rider »

My guess would be it wasn't dried out good enough before it was repaired. That's why you see the ends of the cracks re-opening. Moisture was left in the ends of the cracks. If a dry-out was done it's possible the glass wasn't cooled enough before filling. Either way a poor quality repair. You could drill the points and try to back fill them but it's probably not going to look very good with 5 more drill holes and you still have the moisture problem. If a customer brought this to me I would say wait till it cracks out and buy a new windshield.
denniscraven
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: drill every point of a star break?

Post by denniscraven »

Stars are the most challenging for me. First my resin of choice is a low CPS or viscosity. Second is patience, those legs must fill. Some massage the star from the inside to help the resin move (while under pressure). I'm big on creating bullseye to help 'ventilate' the break. But the most important to me is low viscosity/patience.
Dennis Craven
THE CRACK CAT
(316)393-5734