How to hold down a canopy overnight?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
kmx321
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How to hold down a canopy overnight?

Post by kmx321 »

Hi guys, I'm excited because I finally found a good place to set up my first WSR business but I seem to be having a hard time getting my canopy to stay still. I have a 10 ft x 10 ft canopy that is held down by 30 lbs sandbags on each leg. That's 120 lbs in total and these winds still manage to lift it up. The only reason it hasn't flown away is because I have it tied to a tree. I'm not saying that my canopy goes crazy, but I spend more time worrying about it hitting a car rather than on the actual repair. I also don't own a truck so I have to pack everything into my poor 4 cyl. Toyota Camry. I'd like to leave it overnight in order to relieve my car of all the weight so I can save on gas and so I don't have to waste time setting everything up. I have 2 ideas in mind, but I'm not sure if they'll work. Any help will be highly appreciated.

IDEA 1
Fill 4 buckets (5 gals. each) with cement and stick the canopy legs inside it. I'll also put some screw hooks on the cement so I can tie my canopy down for extra support.
The thing I hate about this is that if I ever want to move, I have to either transport the canopy along with the heavy buckets or chop off the legs. I don't want to do any of those.

IDEA 2
Fill 8 PVC pipes (4 inches thick) with cement, close them up with some caps, add a handle for easy carrying, and that's it. I like this idea because it's more portable and cheaper but idk if they'll hold up.

What do you guys think or recommend?
JamesM

Re: How to hold down a canopy overnight?

Post by JamesM »

Idea 2 will work I have done it when I did craft shows don't cement the legs in buckets. You can cement big I bolts in the buckets though and tie down to those you can fit 80 ponds of cement per bucket
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I will be taking mine down every day and leaving it in the car until the next day. In the past if the wind would get to high it is best to close down and live to fight another day. What type of tent do you use? I use a 10-15 that is easily set up and takin down by one person. Though they work well for rainy Washington days. In addition to the weights you can use sandbags that most tent companies sell for less than the weights.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nomad »

Take the canvas top off overnight, or any side curtains or banners attached to the sides. These are the things that put the pressure on the frame and will ruin it if there is enough wind. Leaving just the frame there will usually be OK.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I don't leave mine overnight but in the daytime what I did is build an anchor I used a piece of wood approx. 3feet x 1.5 feet I drilled two holes that line up with holes in tent canopies legs I use two 2 inch stainless steel bolts and nuts under the wood attach canopy legs to it. At that 10 feet of tent your car tires should fit exactly on the wood. Anchor it with your car on one side on the other I use 2 35lb weights on each leg I purchased with the tent. My tent is 10x15 I have huge banners on one 15 ft side and the two ten foot sides. This will secure the tent while you are there extremely well and costs under 30 dollars for the parts at a hardware store. Good luck with the Tent I am at day 20 with mine and so far I am doing well and love it more than any other business I have owned or have worked for. I think I may need a bigger step stool however did my first semi today sucked standing on his tire and reaching to the middle of the windshield. But was fun to try one and he paid me well.