Could this have been damaged during replacement?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Mxwlhaus
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Could this have been damaged during replacement?

Post by Mxwlhaus »

Hello, all. I just noticed some chipped paint around my windshield and I can't figure out how it happened, except if the windshield had been replaced. In the 1/4" gap between the edge of the glass and the body, the paint is chipped all along the width of the car. It looks as though some sort of pry tool could have been used that wedged up against the paint and damaged it. I attached a closeup picture of one small section. The car is almost new - a dealer loaner car sold as certified. I had earlier noticed a 3 inch long scratch on the inside of the windshield but never gave it much thought. Putting two and two together, I'm guessing a repair or replacement was done and the paint got damaged in the process. But I wanted to ask the pro's on this forum - how could this sort of damage happen? Is some sort of pry tool sometimes used? Or other thoughts on how the paint could get chipped like that? I've had windshields replaced before and never seen this. Thanks for your help.
Windshield edge detail.jpg
Windshield edge detail.jpg (205.9 KiB) Viewed 368 times
kennycrane

Re: Could this have been damaged during replacement?

Post by kennycrane »

Having trouble making out exactly what I am seeing. But from what I see looks like a rust issue where the glass shop scratched the paint when the glass was cut out sadly, and then failed to at least use a primer to prevent rusting.
Mattimeo

Re: Could this have been damaged during replacement?

Post by Mattimeo »

You also have to be careful about what the customer claims as well. We have had people try to come back and claim we did damage when it wasn't us.