New Guy Checklist Help

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RC_Reggi
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

New Guy Checklist Help

Post by RC_Reggi »

Hey guys! I'm Reggi and I wanna get in the Rock Chip Business! I'm 29 Years old located in Baton Rouge, LA. Currently working a dead end retail job same jobs I've been working since I was 18. It pays the pills barely but its time to change, I have been researching and planing and read this forum and watching you tube videos for about 3 weeks now. I have most of the info but I need to be sure because I don't have the money out of pocket to start. Thinking about getting a loan hopefully from family but i'm doubting that and i wanna have everything ready but as of now idk if im missing anything. I've spoke over the phone with Delta as im gonna the EZ-350s Kit and I was told to get insurance and the LLC (or something like that) before i can do customers windshields so im trying to calculate it this way.
Not sure if its all correct but anyways. What are the first steps i need to complete before starting this business. Like 1-5 atleast and ill research them on my own if listed. Just have noone to talk about this to but here so its nice to be able to communicate with you guys.
KCBen

Re: New Guy Checklist Help

Post by KCBen »

I am knew also, I bought my Delta kit, then I called one of the local windshield replace company's in my area and asked for a windshield it was given to me free of charge. then I started practicing. Once I felt confident I started with friends and family. I took a 1 day class with Delta just got lucky they were in my area, and my confidence is now there. There is more to the business side of it all, that I am still struggling with but its getting easier. Some of the local WSR guys might even hire you on for a while, MAYBE just be honest about the whole thing!! Here where I am at, I was offered a chance to work with a WSR company I even told him I was looking to go at it on my own at some point he had no problem with it and asked me for at least a one year commitment, not bad.

Do your homework, practice, have patience and have fun.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I started 8 months and love it. Delta has a new business checklist on site. That checklist seemed to cover almost everything I needed to get started. You will need a way to account for business as well. I use Pro Ledgers from Money Ledgers it is only around 100 dollars and no monthly fee. Also on Delta site it has the information needed to get set-up with the TPAs. Get set up with Safelite, Lynx, HSG, and Gerber. I use the script Delta has on site for speaking with the TPAs and non TPA insurance companies. Not sure which model you will use I am using the tent model at a mall location it works good. I will also start this summer going after a few fleets for the slower winter months here. The staff at Delta is much more savvy than me and have always been there when I had a question. For my business model the TPAs are a must being that accounts for 80 plus percent of my business. To this day I am still figuring out Web Design and how to advertise but a busy location has been my saving grace. You can see my main form of advertising on my web page www.rcrnr.net. I am on Google my Business as well now. Good luck and I hope you love this as much as most here do.
RC_Reggi

Post by RC_Reggi »

Sorry guys something happened couldn't see this post for days but now I can. Thanks for the advice!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Here is a link to the new_windshield_repair_checklist that RCRNR mentioned. You can download it in .pdf format at the bottom of the page.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
RC_Reggi

Post by RC_Reggi »

Has any of you guys ever had to write a business plan for this type of work. I'm trying to get a small loan of like $1400-1500 to cover the kit and everything i need to start but I cant go empty handed and all this business lingo on the template is confusing to me. I'ts the first time i've done something like this and don't have any physical help.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Not sure where you are located but our local Small Business Development Center provides assistance on how to write a business plan, as well as just about anything else business related that you can imagine. I've been in business for myself since the 80's and I still find their classes and one on one assistance extremely valuable, but for someone just starting out it is a tremendous resource. Here they run the SBDC through the local community college but it may be different in your city and state. The Small Business Administration is also a great resource, and in addition to helping you write a business plan may also be able to help you with a loan. https://www.sba.gov/business-guide/plan ... iness-plan

If you are already using one of those resources and that is what you find confusing, ask them where you can get one on one assistance. Here is a list of additional resources but you should have some local ones that are not on this list: https://www.score.org/resource/list-startup-resources
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
FixitFelix

Post by FixitFelix »

Just the kind of thread I'm looking to see (i'm also new to WSR). How far along are you in the process now Reggi?
I'm your huckleberry
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

HI Reggi
Welcome to the forum! Was reading some of the posts and it reminded me of the way I got started in the WSR. I went to the auto glass supplier and asked for a windshield I could practice on for my repair business? I made a 2x4 stand to hold the windshield. After several repairs I became confident. To enhance my skills I went to a junk yard asked them if I could repair some chipped windows and they liked the idea sense it was free. Soon after I started this they had me repairing the windshields they had for sale and now I was making money!