Ethics???

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!

Could you as a Repair Only shop survive doing repairs for $9.95

No
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 22

Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

Well after two days of rain and no more paper work to catch up on I thought I would throw a few thoughts out about ethics in this business.

I had two different situations come up in the past few months that make me wonder are there ethics in this business. Or are there those that are followers of other bad business practices.

I had a friend thank god it was a friend that had visited a local lube shop. She was told that her windshield needed repaired. She called me immediately to ask me to look at her windshield. All it was the large repair I did a couple years ago the cap had fallen out. Had to be that cheap pit filler I bought (not delta
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Good post! The most common ethical situation that comes up with me is people who own more than one vehicle, with only one having full coverage, wanting me to repair a non-covered windshield but bill it to the one that is full-covered. My standard answer for this is "Let's call your agent, and if he will give it to me in writing that it's okay, then I won't have any problem with it" . So far, I havent had any customers who have been willing to make that call. Sometimes I still get the work, sometimes they find someone else who will do it their way. Either way, I am in the clear, and I dont get a whole lot of their friends calling me for the same kind of 'deal'. It sounds good at first, but these things have a way of coming back to bite you in the fanny.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

In the UK this would be fraud keep the business straight its far better in the long run. I have often been asked by fleet managers and salesmen etc. to charge for a couple more jobs and give them a drink this is a big no no as far as I am concerned. If you get caught or even suspected of coruuption in any way the reputation of you and the business as a whole goes down the drain.
It is so easy to make a very good living out of screen repair by being straight dont even cross the line.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

There is an old saying "even crooks won't do business with someone who cant be trusted"
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

There is an old saying that the dayafter they sold the first insurance policy they processed the first fraudulent claim! Fact of life in every buisness there is fraud hwether its the guy at the gas station selling some lady a new set of tires when her old ones were fine or the guy that burns his store for the insurance all you can do is try to live your life the best you can and dont let the others change you
Layne

Post by Layne »

In my six +years of windshield repair I have responded to a number of calls and found that the chip had no lines and did not need repair. I also notified the insurance agent---honesty goes a long way with them.