Lube Shop Set Up? Just a couple questions

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Lube Shop Set Up? Just a couple questions

Post by Brent Deines »

If I had a nickle for every time someone told me what I was about to attempt could not be done I would be a very rich man. While I believe the advice given by usmc68 was given with the best of intentions, people give advice based on their own limited experience, but not all of our experiences are the same. It may well be that in his area all the lube shops are tainted, but is that the case in your area? I cannot tell you what will work in your area, especially since I have no idea what your talents are, and neither can anyone else. It sounds like you will find out for yourself soon enough.

In another recent topic someone asked how everyone else dealt with car lots. Some forum members responded by saying they were not worth dealing with, which was what they believe based on their experience. My experience has been different, so I responded with what has worked for me many, many times in the past. My advice was scoffed at, but the fact remains that is what worked for me. Not only was I able to get past the immediate rejection that is often experienced at some car lots, but I often got them to pay me more for my work than they had been paying my competition...but I digress.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are windshield repair technicians successfully working lube shops in various parts of the country. That's the great thing about this business, you don't have to stick to the same business model as your competitors. Some windshield repair technicians work only car lots, while others choose car washes, and still others choose to service only fleets. Some do nothing but insurance work and others only accept cash. Which business model is right and which one is wrong? Only you can make that decision. Do your homework and if you feel there is an opportunity to fill a niche in your area, go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always try one of the other business models. Such is the nature of being an auto glass repair technician, or an entrepreneur of any kind for that matter.

I'll tell you something else that you don't typically hear on this forum. Some of our most successful customers never post here. One reason for this is that they have chosen a business model that is a bit different than everyone else and they don't want any competition. They love it when someone says there is no money to be made using the very idea that has brought them success. They laugh themselves all the way to the bank.

One last piece of advice from me has to do with getting the most out of the windshield repair forum. If someone gives you advice that is helpful, be sure to thank them for it, and if someone gives you advice that not helpful, ignore them. We all feel like we need to respond to every post, myself included, but the fact is that unless you like to spend all your time arguing it's best not to get sucked in to long debates over a difference of opinion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

In my humble opinion any service department, lube bay or whatever that does not do WSR is off their head and are missing out on a great up sell, often at no cost to the end customer. All though I see the figures quoted as slightly optimistic I see no reason why a good living cannot be made. I see the close percentage a tad high I would suggest more in the region of 10% of vehicles seen being converted into sales, so maybe 2,000 sales per annum at say $50 = $100,000 take off 40% for overheads not a bad profit for some.

My advice would be that if you are convinced you have got it right go for it, it will likely be a short term thing as the lube bay guy may want to take in house, so make sure you keep customer details of each job done and that you leave a calling card with a small discount voucher or such like in each vehicle, even those you have not worked on, this with your number on not the lubes.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I think the figures are overly optimistic as well, for a single location anyway. Lube shops that do their own repairs almost always have a far lower per day average number of repairs than shops who allow a technician to work from their shop for a percentage or flat fee arrangement, so it's often a win-win situation if they allow an independent windshield repair technician do the work rather than using their own man power.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

One thing I have always done over here is to make sure I sell myself to the service department of any garage I deal with. The sales department may sell 20 cars a month the service department may handle 400, make sure you are not missing the big picture guys as most settle for the sales dept only.
chipfixman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by chipfixman »

From what I have seen, the reason why lube shops don't use their equipment is because they have a high turn-over rate and those that where trained to do windshield repair end up leaving after 6 months. You got it right with you being on site. If you are there, or one of your employees, on site at the lube center, you will do much better. I have seen success come from lube and oil places.