harder then normal lights list

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: harder then normal lights list

Post by t4k »

Marcus wrote: After reading through the threads I realize I haven't been changing discs frequently enough, thus spinning my wheels and working too hard.
Good for you for reading the past posts. Most of the information on this subject has been discussed at length and all any one has to do is put forth the effort to find it.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I've got three BMW's lined up today at the BMW dealership near me. Love working on Beamers....the results are awesome. They are all customer's cars and they just keep coming back for more.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Quest van
ray6

Post by ray6 »

Jeeps in particular and SUVs in general have tougher coatings because they get harder use.

For really tough lenses, if I can't completely strip it with stripper, I'll use a razor blade to remove the old coating then switch to 320 grit abrasive and lots of sanding lubricant to keep the disks from filling up.

ray6
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Old Blue 66 »

mend master wrote:I tried the razor blade trick yesterday on Impala headlights. Maybe I have a sub-standard grade of blades, but it seemed like they dulled very quickly and had to be replaced much too regularly for me. I went back to the tried and true block sand with 180 grit to take most of the hard layer off, then 180 with a 3" D/A, 320, 500, 800, (all dry); then wet sand with a Trizact 1000 grit; shoot with Speedokote. The sales manager, a salesman, and their repair coordinator were all blown away. They asked if I had replaced the lenses! Apparently another vendor had come around offering $35 pricing, had tried the Impala and left the lot in disgrace. My motto is, "If you can't run with the big dogs, you'd better stay on the porch!" :D

These are 3M right?? I havent seen anyone talk about this disc yet. Whats its intended use? And how did it help refinishing the Impalla's HL's?
Paul Weinstein
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I have one to put on an "easier than expected" list. Did a 2007 T.Blazer today.... the ones with the freakin huge lens. I figured it would be that PITA rock hard coating like some other GM cars have. But, was glad to see that it was the opposite... very soft and easy to sand off. :D

On the flip side, I did a 2004 Impala today that was as bad as it gets. Coating was like sanding diamonds. Usually, I can cut the coating with a couple 500 discs even on the tougher ones. This lens took half a dozen at least.... it dulled a fresh sheet very quick, even when used wet. I didn't have any 180 or 320 with me so I just ran through a few of the 500. I get them cheap so it's not so bad ;) lol

Did a bunch of h/l jobs today.... I'm ready for some nice easy w/s work tomorrow. 8-)
ray6

Post by ray6 »

glassdoctor wrote:I have one to put on an "easier than expected" list. Did a 2007 T.Blazer today.... the ones with the freakin huge lens. I figured it would be that PITA rock hard coating like some other GM cars have. But, was glad to see that it was the opposite... very soft and easy to sand off. :D

On the flip side, I did a 2004 Impala today that was as bad as it gets. Coating was like sanding diamonds. Usually, I can cut the coating with a couple 500 discs even on the tougher ones. This lens took half a dozen at least.... it dulled a fresh sheet very quick, even when used wet. I didn't have any 180 or 320 with me so I just ran through a few of the 500. I get them cheap so it's not so bad ;) lol

Did a bunch of h/l jobs today.... I'm ready for some nice easy w/s work tomorrow. 8-)
Are your disks filling up with material, or are they actually dulling? Have you tried using a sanding lubricant?
ray6
pommy

Post by pommy »

I didn't have any 180 or 320 with me so I just ran through a few of the 500...
I've been there before! Ha ha...
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Dulling... Not just gummed up paper. I actually did try some Samsung lube (speedocoat and my own mix) and it didn't make much difference. The 500g sheets felt like 1500g almost right away... Like 30 seconds..... (:

Like sanding diamonds with cardboard.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Kepp a supply on 180 pads. You wont regret stocking it. I charge extra for impalas. I have even tried wax ompound and it didnt work either.