harder then normal lights list

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: harder then normal lights list

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote:Kepp a supply on 180 pads. You wont regret stocking it. I charge extra for impalas. I have even tried wax ompound and it didnt work either.
I'm confused...which isn't difficult.
Do you have a type of compound that cuts better than sandpaper? If so, what is it?
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I'm going to start stocking 320, and maybe 220 if it's available from my supplier. I still think 180 is crazy even though I have used it a couple times. I would much rather burn through an extra couple discs of 320 instead to going to 180 and then having to dig back out of that hole. Just today, I looked at my 180 and almost stuck it on the sander.... but then put it back in the box and used a couple extra 500's 8-)
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

I havent had any problems with the 180 since I started using it. I only use it for the hard lenses or removing paint. I dont dont use it untill I've tried the 320 first.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:I havent had any problems with the 180 since I started using it. I only use it for the hard lenses or removing paint. I dont dont use it untill I've tried the 320 first.
Completely agree with this. If 320 isn't cutting it, you'll know pretty quick. 180 cuts the time down in sanding unless you like going through twice as much 320 and spending more time.

Back on topic...........I met my nemesis yesterday. I thought this one was going to be no big deal...A 2005 Grand Prix. Has to be just as bad as the Impalla.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

180 is not much short of using a hammer and chisel.

I used to use them, but there are too many discs in the sequence already = sooooo much time.

I believe the problem is the tool, if you're using a 3" Griots anyway.

It's designed primarily as a polisher. Have you ever tried a normal rotary tool - like a drill or a 3/5" air tool?

It rips off the coating in seconds - where on the same lens, the 3" orbital doesn't touch it. I've had them side by side, so it's a fact.

The Griots is easier to handle and works on the majority of HLR's, and is a great tool - but of you're having several of these cars come up - take a drill (must have a side handle attachment - easy to control).

Tip: if you don't want to use a drill and you feel 180 is necessary - use a razor blade instead, it leaves a much better finish than 180.

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:180 is not much short of using a hammer and chisel.

I used to use them, but there are too many discs in the sequence already = sooooo much time.

I believe the problem is the tool, if you're using a 3" Griots anyway.

It's designed primarily as a polisher. Have you ever tried a normal rotary tool - like a drill or a 3/5" air tool?

It rips off the coating in seconds - where on the same lens, the 3" orbital doesn't touch it. I've had them side by side, so it's a fact.

The Griots is easier to handle and works on the majority of HLR's, and is a great tool - but of you're having several of these cars come up - take a drill (must have a side handle attachment - easy to control).

Tip: if you don't want to use a drill and you feel 180 is necessary - use a razor blade instead, it leaves a much better finish than 180.

Cheers,

Pommy
Youre saying a drill with a 320 will rip the old CC off faster? Never thought of that. Thanks.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

I'm 100% sure of that - give it a whirl ;)

As you would with the orbital, tilt it slightly to the leading edge to cut extra hard bits.

The action of the orbital makes the redline discs glaze on the hard coatings - the dragging motion of the drill actually removes it.

You'll also find that it won't leave any "pig tail" marks either.

I'm not saying that the drill is the best, I used to use it for every job, but I have a bad back and it kills me - compared to the Griot's which is much easier to handle.

Horses for courses... (I think that's a saying!)

Cheers,

Pommy

It is...!

Code: Select all

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/13/messages/690.html
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Cool, I have about 7 cars to do tomorrow. Ive seen a few of them and I know I could give it a try. Thanks
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Good luck!
candyman

Post by candyman »

Thursday must have been headligt day. First up a 2006 impala. Nightmare from hell. I used 13, 180 pads and 3, 320 pads to get that coating off and smooth. The end result , like new two hours later. I had the the dealer and the buyer watching the transistion. My second vehicle was a Honda Civic. One lens had been replace from a Junk yard. The lens was deep yellow and brown with cracks in several places. I could not get the entire yellow stain out. I used prep spray between pads, hoping that it would lighten it up more. I started to wipe the lens with clorox water to see if that would help. The temp was about 96 dgs and about 40% humidity. I used the Develup Chem instead of the 4.1 infinity on both vehicles. So I now know that some stains will not come out completely. The lens went from no clarity to about 80%. This was for a dealer. There must be an easier way to do these Impalas other than razor blade method and multiple pads. Has anyone used anything lower than a 180 pad. I have another Impala to do next week that looks as bad as the one I did on Thursday. I have one pack of 180's left. I've got to order more today. It takes a week to get supplies from Or. Have a good weekend.